Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 doubler project question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, here is my dilemma. A guy at work has an NP205 that he just dropped off at my house. I was planning on buying it from him and using the ORD doubler to mate it to my NP203 that came with my 74. However, it is the 10 spline version that came from a manual. So, ORD sells a kit to convert it that involves machining the case. My buddy and I haven't settled on a price yet but I'm figuring he's gonna charge me $200-300 for it. A local reputable shop is looking at around $500-600 to rebuild it and machine the case for a 32 spline input. So, I'm into it for $700-800 when it's done. Should I just buy an NP205 from ORD to begin with to save myself the hassle or do I have other alternatives? I don't think I have the expertise to rebuild it myself. How hard is it to track down a TH400 style 32 spline NP205 from Pick n' Pull?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

WOW, that is alot of $$$$
    I would look else ware for a 205, rebuild it your self(just get a book can't be that hard) have the machine work done and bam! under 400smakers
    .02c /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

$300.00 bucks is a lot of cash for a 205 that has to be rebuilt and is not the exact piece that you are looking for.
    If you do decide to tackle it yourself it is not very hard at all. If you have some basic mechanical skill and a descent tool inventory , you can do it yourself. The only area that leaves some room for adustment is the bearing preload on the idler gear. The rest is idiot proof if your careful.
    Either which way you go -- GOOD LUCK ....
    I am starting a "Doubler" set up like yours right now. 465/203/205 w/32 splines.
    Tom

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Your final cost would almost buy one built and ready to install.If money is no prob,{ha ha}thats the way to go,but like said it's not that hard to do yourself.Just get book for prints and case work shouldn't cost too much.Have gathered parts for doubler to do myself.Gertrag 5spd,203,Ford 205.just got to come up with cash for adapter. Going into 88 SWB with SFA HiPin D60 front already. Proud to say did it myself.Wheel HARD have FUNNN. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer on 38s

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

If you are ready to spend $700 for that t-case. I have one for sale! I'll sell mine for $600. 32 spline TH400 NP205 with fixed rear yoke. Let me know if you are interested! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, Im joking. I need the t-case for my Doubler swap. What I am getting at, you are waaaaaay high on prices. Anybody who charges around $600-700 for a factory GM transfercase is crazy - even if it is rebuilt. Think about finding a used t-case somewhere on the boards, either here or Pirate. If you want to replace the one thing that really wears - you might replace the input gear. Contact Inland Truck Parts in Kansas City (ask for Ron Istas) for the parts, I believe its only $60-70 for the TH400 version input gear. There is nothing special about rebuilding an NP205. Chances are, if you have changed your oil, you can rebuild an NP205. Stephen has simplified the parts finding process by offering the Input Gear kit at a reasonable price (not saying you cant buy it cheaper elsewhere). Any reputable machine shop can machine your case for little dollars. Its a simple "press fit" clearance on the bearing. Get the input gear and bearing from whoever you want, then take these parts to the machinist. Have them machine the input gear bearing surface. Put the rest together yourself to save money. You can cut your costs by 1/3 if you go this route. Who doesn't like to save money?

Also, In my opinion, the guy is asking nearly double what the going price for a used NP205 10 spline goes for. Check the boards man - BIGJ has one for cheaper than this guys price.

Just to give you an idea - I bought my TH400 and NP205 for $450 in running condition. The input gear has some wear but Im on a shoestring budget - Ill run it anyway. Only thing Im going to do is clean the barnicles off the case, change the fluid and replace the input/output seals along with shift rail seals and Im done. No need to have brand new everything. But, thats just the way I operate! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

the rebuild kit from ORD is 190. the new input gear that you need is 140.
    the machine work out here is 60, but can be gotten for free with a hook up or two.
    i tore the same type of 205 appart the other night. it was EASY. i never torn a T-case appart nor have i read anything on it. easiest thing i have done in a long while.
    you can do it yourself with a few basic tools.
    i would look around the yards a bit for a long type 32 spline input or something that would cost less. make sure it works right an all.
    that way you can be semi sure you dont need any hard parts
    grant

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

There is a pretty good NP205 rebuild article here:
    http://www.bulldogs-house.com/Projects/np205/
    So I have considered just doing it myself. I am concered a bit about that preload issue and don't want to screw that up though.

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It's almost impossible to screw up a 205. They are very forgiving. On the idler just make sure that there is no play in the bearings and it does not have to much drag. It should rotate freely w/ no end play after the idler shaft nut is tightened to spec's.
    If you can replace front wheel bearings and replace u-joints than you can rebuild a 205 . It is not bad ....
    HTH , Tom

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the shop that is trying to charge you $600 is ripping you off.
    they will most likely just wash and paint it, as most guys will not replace bearings that 'look good'.
    anyone can re-bearing a 205 for $200 parts plus time, a shop gets a better deal on the kit.
    so unless they are replacing some gears do not give them your cash.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

how do I steal the images from that article?
    must have to go to the tempo folder...

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Here is the full URL to the pics.
    http://www.bulldogs-house.com/Projects/np205/gallery/a1.jpeg
    You can cycle through the numbers (a1, a2, a3, ...) to pic up some of them. Looks like there is also some b#, c#, ... pics too. Do a [View/Source] in IE to see the source and search for "JustSoPicWindow" to see all the pic names...

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Is that your site BadDog?

13. BadDog

Nope, not mine. I wouldn't do that "tying to hide the pics" crap. I just looked at the HTML source for the page to figure out where they really were.

14. Mudzer

15. BadDog

Hah! Never occured to me that they would have left indexing turned on...

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

DS drop = Ford

17. Mudzer

Doh, I cant believe I asked that question out loud just now...

18. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

The D60 in my truck{88GM}is a DANA model that Ford just had good sence to use.Same for the NP 205 that is going in.Now the 10.25 sterling rear {35spl 1.5inaxles}was too cheap to pass up{$25}ready to weld and run,more ground clearance than shaved 14B and don't have to pull rear hubs for brake service. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Shoulda started with a Ford.
    you would get a better motor to go with the better drivetrain, or is that in the works?

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Heck I have topped that many times on here.
    edit it to something cooler /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif