Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 front o/p removal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    How hard is it to remove the front output shaft from a 205? Can it be done in the truck? Is it a complete teardown?
  2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Pretty easy even in the truck:
    Drain the oil by removing the drain plug.
    Remove front driveshaft.
    Remove front output nut, and remove front output flange/yoke.
    Remove the 4 bolts holding the front bearing/seal retainer in.
    Remove snap ring.
    Remove snap-ring and bearing assembly.
    Remove thrust washer.
    Remove the front output rear cover bolts (8), and remove rear output cover (light tap with a rubber mallet will usually loosen it).
    While holding the threads on the front output with one hand, pull the gear in the backside (low gear) with the other hand. This will seperate the high gear from the low gear/intermediate shaft assembly (which the low gear is held on to by a snap ring). This allows you to pull it out the rear of the case.
    The "clutch ring" will fall and can be removed, then you should be able to remove the high gear (working it's way around the shift fork).
    Re-assembly is basically the reverse. The hardest part is assembling it so the clutch ring goes into the shift fork correctly and everything meshes smoothly (usually a few tries).

If you are swapping out one shaft for another, you will have to remove a snapring, thrust washer, needle bearings, etc. PM me if you have specific ??

I may have left something out, but that is what I "remember".