Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np205... front output nut from hell...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jan 21, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

spent 2 hours trying to get the front output yoke nut off today... didn't budge a picometer. :confused: Anyone have any tips? the input/rear output and their gears are both removed. All thats left in there is the shift rails and intermediate gear. I used a open end wrench locked in the yoke ujoint and a 1/2" socket driver + 3' cheater bar... couldn't budge it. Didn't help that the tcase would flop around due to all the force on it not being on the same axis etc. Anyway, my impact doesnt have the grunt to budge it either. Is the only option taking it to a trans/auto shop? I know one that might do it free, but it'd be a pita dealing with it with my schedule...

j

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

You can always put some heat to it, and then ues the impact. This usually seems to help the ones that are difficult.

Mike

3. jekbrown

not a bad option... I don't have a torch though. I haven't soaked it overnight in liquid wrench yet.... guess I could try that. Guy over on pirate sells a yoke-nut removal rool... but he doesn't have a 1410 version yet. sigh.. this thing is annoying. Makes me wish I had the supa-bling bling impact that can knock out 600 ft/lbs. ;)

j

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I put my 203 in a vise but it was a heavy focker getting it on the bench. Someone recommended putting a large pipe wrench on yokes while using a socket with breaker bar/ impact. I have found that works well - especially if you heat them with a propane torch.

5. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

I use a 2' chain-style pipe-wrench to grab ahold of the yokes when I am takin those nuts off. It takes some force but I have not had one get the best of me yet.

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Pipe wrench with a long cheater pipe against the ground to hold the yoke and the biggest ratchet or breaker bar that you have with a long cheater pipe to turn the nut. There is no reason to strain yourself.

7. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Righty tighty lefty loosey[​IMG]

8. jekbrown

yeah, Im goin for the full court press today... pipe wrench + heat on the nut + liquid wrench + cheater bars = removed nut. Hopefully... lol! So much easier when the case is still attached to a vehicle. If the above plan doesn't work, I'm gonna try the vise approach. I don't own one, but my dad does and his house is 1/4 mi away. :) :thumb:

j

9. jekbrown

whew. Got the bastage. It took the full combo... cheater bars, heat, a serious drenching of liquid wrench and a lot of strained muscles, but the nut is off. woo-hoo! :grin:

j

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

11. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

my buddy's dad retired from Snap-On and he's got quite the odd tool collection. He has a 4:1 multiplier that is 1/2 input and 3/4 drive output. a big pipe wrench against the bench (or ground for axle yokes) and a cheater driving the input... its gets it done ;)

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The hardest part for me doing it out of the rig was keeping it from spinning. So once upon a time, I bolted it up to a sm465 that already had the top cover removed. I then manually shifted the 465 into 2nd and 4th gears at the same time, which completely LOCKS the thing in place. Put the 205 in gear, and no more spinning yoke. :D