Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np205 front output seal? part #s?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Dec 12, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the front output on my np205 leaks like a sieve. its bad... like really bad. when the fluid gets low if I pour more in, the next morning what I poured in is on the pavement. This is annoying! I swapped in a 32-spline front shaft from a ford... anyone have any idea what part # or year/model of ford I should be asking for at a parts place? napa carry things like this or will i have to go to a drivetrain shop? any hints would be appreciated.. all the other gaskets/seals seem to work perfectly... just this one is fubar. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

2. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I believe now that you have the 32 spline front shaft in, it will require the same seal as the 32 spline rear output. I have not put my 32 spline front output in yet, so I can't say for sure.

3. jekbrown

highly probable i reckon... but i don't know what kinda rig my case came from either... i mean, are there several different seals or do all 205s that are 32 spline have pretty much the same one?

j

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

From what I have found most rear seal retainers have the same O.D. and the most common 1350/1410 yokes have the same seal dimensions . I believe the seal you need is a " National ( Federal-Mogul ) 410308 " the dim's are 2.125 X 3.061 X .500 . This is a double wall with a dust lip seal . This may not be the seal that a parts guy will look up in the book because it is an upgrade part number and a very good seal . HTH , Tom

5. jekbrown

thanks for the skinny! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

R U SHURE it s the seal ???
    did ya rember to put in a new rubber 32 spline washer when ya put the new yoke on ???
    or at least put some rtv at the end of the yoke splines before ya put the yoke on ??
    as i think the fluid may be sneaking out from your splines also
    best of luck to ya
    randy

7. jekbrown

entirely possible... have to check i guess. not sure exactly what u mean by rubber washer though... have a pic that shows it in an exploded diagram or something?

j

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The Doctor is right - don't forget to re[lace that rubber insert seal .
    If my memeory serves me correctly you will need a GM part number " 14022211 " this is the splined rubber insert seal for the 32 spline 205 out put shafts .
    Good luck , Tom

P.S. I always put a little bit of RTV on along with this insert seal too - just to insure that leaks are kept to a minimum.

9. jekbrown

awesome, thanks for the supplemental info... if anyone has any more or confirmation/clarification on the part #s in question, it'd be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j