Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 front output shaft spins when in 2WD

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Quack_Addict, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt my NP205 this past summer because the shifter detents were puss. For various reasons, I haven't installed a shifter boot on the tunnel cover yet and while driving the truck with the transfer case in 2HI (hubs unlocked, too) the front driveshaft shill spins. It doesn't spin really fast - I could probably count the revolutions at 70 MPH if I wanted to. The 205 doesn't make any noise in any gear. I'm not worried about it... just wondering what the cause is.

Daddy always said a Phord is about as useful as a shovel with a rope handle.

2. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I believe it is mild parasitic drag. I think the output gears for the front rides on the same shaft (internally) as the rear, so you have a slight amount of friction which keeps it moving (slowly). I am not an expert, but that's what I heard.

Pics at <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jlblmkh>http://community.webshots.com/user/jlblmkh</a>

(Formerly heaj1)
    Swimmin like a rock, slingin like a stock, but not for long.

3. 82TOYLB

82TOYLB Registered Member

Above reply is correct. All part time t/cases have this same issue. My Toyota and blazer do the same thing. You could reach down and stop it from spinning by just grabbing it with your hand if you wanted to, there is not much torque turning it. It is certainly nothing to worry about, they all do it.

82 Toy LB with Marlin, locked, 36's,38's,35's depending on month/mood. 79 K5 with 3/4 ton running gear, 36's.