Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 front output yoke/flange questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big_B_Murphy, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

I am nearly finished with a th700/208 to sm465/205 swap on my 85 K5.

My big question is why is there a yoke on the front output of my 205. All other GM t-Cases that I have had were flanges. that includes 203's, 208's and 205's. This is my first one with a yoke. I have several questions.

1. Can you run a CV joint with a yoke? On the driveshaft from my 208 the flange seems integrated with the CV joint, and the u joints in the CV are larger than the the yoke on the 205

2. Were the spines different from ayoke 205 to a flange 205?
    I took the flange off my 208 and it has a larger diameter for the seal to ride on.

3. Has anyone run into this before (I am sure someone has)?

4. All Chevy 4X4's that I have owned have had CV front shafts, so I assume that I need one. Am I wrong to assume that??

5. Does anybody have the flange that I need? I would hate to have done all of this to have a 2X4 K5!

<font color=red> It is just as much fun to build it as it is to bash it</font color=red>

2. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

If you have a yoke, you should have the 10 spline front output, and yes you can run a CV joint with that. I had that same output on my 205 with a CV front driveshaft, but have since swapped out the shaft for a 32 spline.
    Russ

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

with any luck that will be for a real spicer cv rather then the saginaw flange ones

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

4. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

What is the difference between the the saginaw and spicer CV joints?
    The one I have, the flange to U-joint part is also connected to a ball in the middle of the CV joint. Is that enough info to tell what kind I have. Which one do I have?

<font color=red> It is just as much fun to build it as it is to bash it</font color=red>

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

The Yoke is the Spicer. This is how they came before about 77 or so. Later cases have the square flange, aka Saginaw.

I have one of each. I have to say the Saginaw is a lot easier to take the shaft off because the Spicer's bolts are very difficult to reach.