Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 Leak

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Robin, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I just put synthetic oil in my TC and wouldn't you know it, the aluminum plate on the back leaks now. What's behind the plate if I take it off? Anyone know I good place to get info or an exploded view of a 205?

2. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

I believe it's just a bearing cover. Nothing will come flying out if you just take the cover off. Drain fluid, pull it off, clean it up and use "Right Stuff" gasket maker to seal it back up again. Should be back on the road in 1/2 hour. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

yes, it's just an inspection cover.

4. brandoneh

brandoneh 1/2 ton status

Yah my 205 leaks like a bad motha..! Dudes on these posts say that's pretty common. When i get some time i'll get around to it. Isn't it a gasket on the back or is it some kind of seal? I doubt local autoparts have it, so i'm gonna have to dig it up.

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The Right Stuff is the Good stuff for 205's. I resealed Mine completely with it before I installed it, unfortunately, I did'nt put in new seal's on the shift rail's, [ duh] now they are leaking a little. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you'll see a bearing with a snap ring around it. you should be ok to take it off. you'll probably have more fun taking out he yoke. make sure you replace the yoke seal, too. i just got one fixing my speedo. it was the plastic type and was, what more can i say, it was there. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

anyhow, i did not replace my seal and it leaks now.

ARQ.

7. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

For those that don't know, Right Stuff gasket maker is the shiznik! Don't let the price scare you (about 10 to 12 bucks a tube). It's easy to use, makes bunches of gaskets, and works great. I used it not only for my Rockwell 221 but also my sm465, intake manifold rails, oil pan rails, diff covers, etc... Give it a try and you'll never go back. Very rare that I ever break out the RTV blue anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Once I discovered "the right stuff" I tossed the ultra blue, ultra copper, all that bathtub caulk hit the can. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the comments guys. I also have a leaking speedo drive, I'll try the "right stuff" on that too.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Greg72 did alot of looking into speedo leaks. Look for the post he made he had some good part #'s in there.

11. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The aluminum cover has the bearings for the back of the front output shaft in the middle. These are roller bearings, and they may be loose or caged - I have seen them both ways. If they are loose, they can fall out when you remove the cover. Keep an eye out for where they go so you don't lose any. If they do come out, just stick them back in the cover with a little grease before you put it back on. Silicone will normally work fine to seal the cover, but some silicones are not compatible with synthetic oil, so check the specs on whatever you use to make sure it is compatible with your synthetic gear oil. Just make sure both mating parts are clean before you try to seal it up. I usually use laquer thinner to clean gasket surfaces since it cuts anything and evaporates fast and completely.

12. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

My speedo leaked were the cable nut screws on. I made a paper gasket to go inside the nut and it stopped leaking. It looks like the newer gear holder pieces have a groove in them for an o-ring?

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the comments guys. I also have a leaking speedo drive, I'll try the "right stuff" on that too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just go here:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269149

The CORRECT fix is available and not expensive enough to waste time with RTV or other techniques..... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  14. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I have one of those sleeves but the O-ring is missing. I thought it was an O-ring groove but I wasn't sure. I hate trying to deal with the idiots at the dealer but now that I know for sure I will go down there. When I get the part # of the seal I'll post it for those who find used sleeves.

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

POFF,

Good luck with that.....from what I've seen it's NOT an o-ring, and I've heard that you can't buy JUST the seal....which is why I had to by the "sleeve"

Anyway, I'd be glad if you prove us wrong.....just post up the P/N if you find one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif