Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 - Married/Divorced/Fixed Yoke/Slip Yoke? Huh..?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

There are a few terms that people seem to use freely when discussing the NP205... Slip-Yoke, Fixed Yoke, Divorced....etc.

I am fairly sure the fixed-yoke NP205 is more desireable due to the fact that you can bolt CV-style driveshafts directly to it, and I think the slip-yoke style is easier to damage? when really flexing.... (maybe I don't understand it [​IMG]) I am under the impression that fixed yoke is more common, and even if you DO have a slip-yoke, you can get the parts to convert it to a fixed-type.

I don't have any idea about the "divorced" thing.... can someone help here?

-Greg72

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ok i hope i can explane this correct...a slip yoke 205 on the rear drive shaft it has a yoke that slips in and out of the tranny rather than having a slip section in the shaft its self. The fixed yoke is exactly that..the slip part is in the drive shaft...ok now the divorced 205 is a transfer case that dose not mount to the back of the tranny...there is a drive shaft between the tranny and the t-case then another one to the rear end...the married is attached to the tranny like most trucks are...hope that helps

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Look in the Blazers for sale page!! my 72 needs to go!</font color=blue> [​IMG]

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Like he said, a slip yoke goes in the back of the case and can move back and forth to compensate for suspension movement. Slip yoke driveshafts are solid and shorter. If you break the shaft or a u-joint with a slip yoke case, your screwed since the yoke is what holds the oil in. If its solid yoke, the yoke bolts to the output shaft and then the u-joint bolts to that. The driveshaft has to have a plungle joint to allow for the axle to move up and down. These are more desireable since they are usually stronger, you can get a CV shaft (solid yoke driveshafts are longer, so a CV is not needed unless you have a lot of lift), and if you break something you can drive it on the front axle. Your 72 has a solid yoke 205

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Don't forget circular pattern and figure eight. I've got a rebuilt figure eight but I need a circular.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!