Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np205 no drive to the rear tires in 4low updated

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudhog, Jul 24, 2002.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

a friend of mine has a sm465 np205 combo like mine and when he has it in 2hi and 4hi everything is fine but if he puts it in 4low he has no power to the rear tires /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif the front spin but the rear dont any ideas what is wrong?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: np205 no drive to the rear tires in 4low

The chain broke. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Just kidding, no chain, and I have no clue why it's not working correctly.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> My 205 has done this before, I looked into it and was basically told that they sometimes do this and it's not unusual for it to happen wonce in a while. With mine it happens maybe one time out of 50 shifting into 4 low. If it happens all the time and never goes in, I'd guess that there is a problem with the shift linkage or one of the shift rails in the tranny. I've seen the linkages break before, it could just be that one of the pieces of the linkage has a hole that's all wallowed out so it won't push the shift rail far enough. That would probably be the first thing I'd check, yank the linkage and check it for unusually wear.

I don't suppose that he just put a body lift on or anything and is getting contact between the shifter and the tub, or has badly sagging body mounts that are causing the shifter to contact the tub?</font color>

4. mudhog

he was playing in the sand and it started making some weard noises then the next time he went to play in the sand he put it in 4low and started climbing a hill and had no rear wheel drive in 4low but he does in 2hi and 4hi he has messed with shifting it back and forth but it still will not engage the rear tires in 4low and no he has no lift and no body lift

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I really doubt that something is broken as far as gears go, so I still think that I'd put money on the shifter. It's definately where I'd start looking, if that doesn't reveal anything obvious then I'd say that your going to have to pull the rails and look for something there, after that all that's left is to bite the bullet and yank the whole thing...</font color>

6. mudhog

thats kinda what im thinking its just that this is his daily driver and he drives like 60miles a day to and from work (not one way) and he also dont have the money to fix it /forums/images/icons/frown.gif he is a member here he just dont have internet right now lol

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sounds like it might be easiest to just hit the junkyard to get another t-case and shifter, then spend a day swapping the whole works in. You can get the shifter out in about 30 minutes or so though, so you might just take a look at that first. </font color>

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Is this Ron's truck Shannon? I agree with Evan...check the linkage and all.

Rene

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well 205s are a dime a dozen almost it seems at times. If he waits, I'm sure he can pick up one cheap.

I got my SM 465/NP 205 and front driveshaft for $150. I went elsewhere to get my clutch linkage ($50).

I have never seen an SM 465 or an NP 205 fail, either. I've seen the adapter between them break, but never have I seen either component break under abuse, even with big Boggers and BBC's.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've HEARD of A 205 failing, but only one in the last three years. I'm really interested to see how this turns out, make sure that you let us know when you get it figured out... </font color>

11. mudhog

yes it is rons blazer /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif and yes i will let everyone know what it was when we find out /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

linkage
    mine did that.
    give the top most shift rail a smack back for rear low

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If I were a betting man, I would say that there is a problem with the shifting linkage or the roll pin on the shift fork is messed up (had that happen with the first 205 I rebuilt). It would probably be a good idea to take the shifter and linkage right out of the truck and clean/lube everything up (make sure grease goes into the zerk fitting on the end of the shifter bolt), and remove the crossbar and pins. My buddy Chad has a 205 in his 1 ton dump and originally had no 2WD as the pins and crossbar were so rusted it would not pivot as it should (ended up pulling the case and drilling the pins out as we could not get them out with a hammer and punch in the truck, as for pulling it, it was the easiest thing to do as there is not much room). Lube all the components good upon assembly and then try it.

One last thought. If the teeth are gone on the rear output low gear, it would also cause this, but I have never heard of that ever happening and I would assume it would make some noise (but I guess stranger things have happened).

14. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school

If you converted it to a twin stick, that should fix your problem.

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Assuming it's shifter related......
    Hopefully it will be that simple.

16. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

it could be the linkage. put the blaze in park, blocks on wheels and all the other safty stuff. get under while your buddy puts it in 4lo. both shift rails that go into the 205 should be pushed into the 205. you might have a rock or something logged between the shift rail and case. FYI; this can be done with the engine off.

ARQ.

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Good way to test out the strength of the front end components, though. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

18. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I had that happen to me a time or two when I had my t-case lowered to help rear driveline angle. Make sure the shifter is not hitting the sheetmetal hump. Also, after I broke a 205 (shatter the gears that drive the front........running 38.5 boggers!) I put in another and the little piece of flat metal that connects the two shiftrails kept me out of 2wd...like everyone said..check the linkage. PS....I'm now running 44's and have had no further t-case related problems.

19. mudhog

it was the shift linkage thanks to all who helped out /forums/images/icons/smile.gif