Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 Noise at high speed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WhiteTruck, Sep 23, 2002.

1. WhiteTruck

WhiteTruck Newbie

I have recently installed a used but new to me transfer case. With the truck up on jack stands a metallic grinding noise can be heard at speeds over 60 mph. The shift linkage is tight and not rattling. I guess the next step is to take it back out of the truck and tear it apart??
    Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

What t-case was in the truck before? If it wasn't a 205 you might be hearing a driveline vibration created by the driveshaft changes. If it was previously a 205 then I agree with the tear down, I've heard that if the center idler shaft is improperly set up (it uses shims) or if it has bad bearings then it can cause a noise/vibration.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

did you apply any lube to the coupler between the tranny TC?

4. WhiteTruck

WhiteTruck Newbie

The truck previously had a TH350 and a NP203 with 1/2 ton axles. Now I have a freshly rebuilt TH400 and the noisy NP205. Rebuilt axles, Dana 60 and 14 bolt, new rear drive line etc. The truck has 5-6" of suspension lift and I do not see any interference with the u-joints on the rear drive line, the front drive line is on the bench.