Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np205 problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Orng71k5, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Orng71k5

Orng71k5 Newbie

I have a 71 Chevy Blazer with a sb 350, and I put in a 700r4 transmission. I got a kit from advanceadapters.com and had the transmission built. I moved the engine forward 2 inches and left the transfer case where it was. Now it grinds when I try to put it in 4low. Even with the transfer case in neutral if I move the shifter on the column I hear a terrible clicking noise coming from the transmission. I have not used the 4wd for a long time so it may have nothing to do with the 700r4. I had the np205 resealed about a year ago, and suspect they may have done something to it. Please help with any ideas. Thanks

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

is your foot on the brake?

i 'think' it might cause gear clash if not, not familer with the 205 'yet'. many are though they should chip in soon

3. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Are you dead still or moving? How about if you put the trannie in nuetral? Why would you move the motor foreward instead of moving the trannie back??

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

with a 205 you have to have the tranny in park or nutral and stopped when putting the 205 in 4 low you can put it in 4hi when moving though

5. Orng71k5

Orng71k5 Newbie

700r4 is 2 inches longer than a th350 so instead of shortening and lengthening driveshafts by moving the transfer case back I moved the engine forward leaving the transfer case in the same position with the transmission sandwiched between the engine and transfer case.

6. Orng71k5

Orng71k5 Newbie

Also, when the transfer case is in 2hi there is no problem. I have also driven in 4 hi. The only problem is getting it into 4 low.

7. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

I have the same setup in my 72. The 700r4 seems to still turn the output even in neutral for some reason. If I shift my 205 from high to low or vice versa quickly I have no problem. If I pause in neutral then it grinds into gear. Some times I have to mementarily shut off the engine to shift it. I notice on my brothers 2 wheel drive pickup with the 700r4, when we had the rear end jacked up with the engine running and the tranny in neutral the tires slowly started turning. You stop them with your foot but they would spin again when you let go. I guess it's just the nature of that tranny.

Brent

8. Orng71k5

Orng71k5 Newbie

Today, with the engine turned off, I put the transfer case in 4low, and then started the Blazer. Everything seemed ok until I put the transmission in reverse and then the grinding started. When I shifted back into park the clicking began. I suspect the problem must be in the transfer case since, things with the transmission seem to work just fine in 2hi and 4hi.

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

You are having transmission over-run when you hear clicking when going into park. Put the truck in neutral for a couple of seconds before going into park and you won't have that clicking.

As for your grinding noise, did you cut a larger hole for the lever to make its full range of movement? I bet you didn't and that is why it works in 4hi but not 4low.

10. Orng71k5

Orng71k5 Newbie

Today I got it in 4low with no problems. I quickly jammed it into 4low while the engine was running. It went right in, I put it in gear and no grinding. It looks like there was no problem except the operator. Thanks for all of the advice you guys are great.