Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Apr 2, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I know, I know, NP205's rarely have problems, but I took my K5 out today to do some wheelin. (it's been a little while since I did) and I put it in 4LO and when I started moving, I started hearing like grinding sounds or something. It didn't sound good at all. Then I tried putting it in 4HI and it wouldn't shift into it. If anyone can help, please do. Thanks
    Boss

2. Boss

I just got back from trying it out again. I think it is more of a squeeking sound instead of grinding, when in 4LO. Very frustrated. Also, still can't shift in 4HI.
    Boss

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Sometimes i get this grinding noise too when in 4-lo. It was caused by a loose case shifter. i pulled off the trans hump and tightened the shift lever and it worked some. When it wouldn't shift, where were you? were you on hardpacked dirt or rock? if so, it was simply just binded up. move the wheel back and forth a few tims then it should go out of 4wd.</font color=blue>

4. Boss

I was in a little mud pit. The problem is not that I couldn't shift out of 4LO, it is just that I couldn't shift into 4HI. I can shift into 4LO, but it squeeks every time I move forward. Wierd.
    Boss

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

In 4-low my CV joint squeaks. In 4-high I'm usually moving quick enough that I don't notice it.