Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Np205 Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by petryshyn, Apr 10, 2005.

1. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

Well just a week ago i bought a np205 and a sm465, just today i took them out. The tranny seems fine, i got the top shifter off. But was wondering when i went to put it back on i couldn't get the reverse shifter to line up on the gear, is their any trick to this.

Also my np205 seems impossible to shift. It turns over fine, i am wondering what is wrong. I think it is in 4lo but it could possible be in neutral. Where should i start troubleshooting.

Thanks.

2. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I can't shift my NP205 while its out of the truck, either. You need the leverage of the case being bolted to the frame to get it to work so easily.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have a 205 and it shifts fine on the garage floor . you might have some worn internals.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IIRC from my only 465 teardown, the reverse gear slides on it's own...you might need to position it just right, then slide the shifter in.

My 205 (actually two) is hard to shift on the floor, but its because of the shifter detent balls. Smack the rail ends lightly with a hammer and it should shift, a big screwdriver gives enough leverage to move them back out.

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Same here, and I used both the hammer and screwdriver method to get it to shft on the floor. This was after I rebuilt it. It's in the truck and shifts fine now. But, even in the truck, it can be a bear to shift sometimes. I have three 205s and they are all that way.

Eric M.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

To remove the top cover of the 465 you need to position the shifter halfway into reverse, this is the only way the fork will clear everything enough. To re-install the shifter itself must still be halfway into reverse, then you need to align the dealy the fork is supposed ride on (reverse idler?)while dropping the cover down. :)

It really helps if the tranny is level...

Rene

7. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys for the responses. I will try the hammer and screwdriver fix on the np205. And for the shifter remove and install that helps tons. Also when the tranny is disconected does the whole shaft, both counter and main slide a little when tipped, is that normal?

Also i was thinking since i am going to be swapping in a dana 60 front, and 14 bolt rear, should i just leave the blazers stock braking system or go to a hydroboost unit or is it just a waste of time. Also though how do you get the hydroboost unit off the wall, their are those 4 bolts then what else does a person have to do?

Also is the rear disk conversion on a 14bolt worth it? I was thinking about it, do you have to readjust the proportioning of the brakes if you do it?

Thanks alot

8. tRustyK5

"Also i was thinking since i am going to be swapping in a dana 60 front, and 14 bolt rear, should i just leave the blazers stock braking system or go to a hydroboost unit or is it just a waste of time. Also though how do you get the hydroboost unit off the wall, their are those 4 bolts then what else does a person have to do?"

I feel the hydroboost is a better system. I think there are 6 bolts holding it to the firewall, and a pushrod that has some sort of clip on it (it's been a while sorry) You'll also need the hydro-boost power steering/brake pump. IIRC two of the 6 bolts come from the inside out...

"Also is the rear disk conversion on a 14bolt worth it? I was thinking about it, do you have to readjust the proportioning of the brakes if you do it?"

I find the one ton drums to be way to grabby under a blazer and lead to rear wheels locking up at the drop of a hat. The disc's are way more contollable and now I can lock all four tires up and the rears lock up a hair before the fronts do. This is without any mods to the stock prop valve and D44 calipers and rotors.

Rene

9. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help.

10. tRustyK5

My pleasure.

Rene