Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np205 question, please help!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Project, May 11, 2003.

1. Project

Project Registered Member

hi guys,
    i have a question that i know it looks funny to you guys but i need the answer!
    where is the fill plug on the np205 transfer case? i've found 3 plugs on it, there is one at the bottom that i know is a drain plug(smart ass /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif), second one is in the middle, and third one is on the top, but the top one is kind of weird, it's like a round plug . is this the one i'm looking for or i just gotta put the oil from the middle one like differential!!!!
    thanks,
    chris

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't know for sure about a 205, but I would guess the middle plug is the filler. That is the way it is on my 208.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It's the top one on the back. The only thing I can think of on the top that you might be seeing is on of the detent plugs...

4. Project

i didn't find any plug on the back, all plugs are on the same side like this combo---->
    .............................*1
    ................................*2
    ..............................*3
    and another question, is there any tunel betwin tranny and transfer case? if there is, i filled the tranny but there is no oil in the transfer case!!!!

5. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm not trying to get wise here, but are you sure you have a 205? If you're sure then locate the plate on the back of the t/case that is retained with the three bolts. The fill plug will be located about 1 inch below and a fuzz to the left of that three bolt plate. I have 3 NP205's in my garage and they all have the fill plug in the same location. I can't locate the third plug you are referring to as all of mine have only two plugs back there, but if you find the three bolt plate and the plug below it, you're filling the right hole /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Back, as in aft side. No tunnel; they are, or at least should be, sealed from oneanother.

7. TNS10HYBRID

TNS10HYBRID Registered Member

Just like Big Bear says.

8. Project

9. Project

10. Project

another question(i know, i know), how do you connect the shifter to it.?!!!!any picture, tip, ....

11. BadDog

The drain/fill plugs are on the same side as the rear output (i.e. the back). Square headed pipe plugs.

Now you have me completely confused. You show a late 465 with 32 spline output and a round adapter. And you show an earlier 10 spline 465 205 with figure 8 adapter pattern. In any case, if you have round patern 205, the input bearing retainer has the seal. Otherwise the seal is in the adapter.

The cross plate in this picture connects the two shift rails, and the shifter connects to the cross plate.

12. Project

thanks for information guys,
    i got it filled and hooked the shifter up.that picture is the old picture, i got a good deal on that tranny,i changed the output shaft to 10 spline and got adapter for it(cost me around 350 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif).another question, whats a shifting order on the transfer case?!!!
    it's funny that i'm asking all these question but the truth is i never had a chevy truck(4x4) befor and i just put the 350 motor in my toyota truck, thats why i'm asking all these stupid questions! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Startting fron the dash

4 Lo
    N
    2 Hi
    4 Hi

14. Project

great man, when i wanna shift to 4x4, i need full stop or i can shift it in low speed too? and also where to find a short shifter for sm465 tranny ???!!!

15. BadDog

You have to stop to shift a 205. You may even have to rock, put it in park, reverse, etc. Though the worst is generally getting *OUT* of 4 WD Low range... For a short shifter, no clue other than shorten the stock sifter and rethread.

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if your hubs are locked in...

- you can shift from 2hi to 4hi at any speed.
    - shifting from hi to lo is a bit harder, you must double your engine rpm once you get the TC shifter into nuetral then slide it into Lo, maybe this cant be done with an auto

it is always easier to shift with the vehicle rolling a bit

17. BadDog

Yeah, now that you mention it I have shifted from 2H to 4H on the fly with a 205 numerous times back when I lived in AL (dirt trails/hills and mud), but never successfully between ranges. I wasn't thinking 2H to 4H when I replied, these days I'm generally going 2H to 4L and back, don't remember the last time I use 4H... The 205 is non-sync but I'm sure a manual trans with a skilled operator could do a range shift on the fly, heavy truck/equipment opeators do it all the time. With an auto, I don't know...

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

some 205s have syncs(auto hub apps??), not that I think they would work
    syncs are in the way of a good shift /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    if you lift for a split sec to get the box into N and stop wheelspin so all 4 wheels are same rpm
    then slam it hard enough while flooring
    it will go into 4lo

you know, the 'oh oh this hole is too much for 2wdr' moments