Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ErikH, Jun 5, 2002.

1. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Hi...

The rear output shaft on my '71 K5 seems a little sloppy, and I've been told the bearings in there are pretty easy to replace. But I need some reassurance before I tear into it this weekend. What sort of bearing (needle, ball) is it, and where would I go to buy a new one?

Thanks for any help!
    -Erik H.

2. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

It is a pretty easy job to replace that bearing. If I remember right It is a ball bearing. You might look for a bearing shop And they my have one or I am shure they can match it up.
    Colin

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's a huge ball bearing that isn't cheap. Call around and make sure someone has the part in stock before you take it apart. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

wouldnt it be possible that more then 1 bearing will be worn causing slop?
    that shaft has loose pocket bearings, small caged needle bearing and then large caged ball bearings.

more then likely it is within spec, they do move around a lot

5. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the responses...

The yoke moves enough to cause the driveshaft to visibly vibrate, and the driveshaft and u-joints are new. I can grab the yoke and shake it a bit, so I'm assuming it's out of spec.... Afterall, the case has never been rebuilt... goin' on 31 years!

-Erik

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Easy, Easy, Easy! Its the easiest thing I have ever rebuilt. The only PITA is getting the bearing shims lined up on the idler gear so the shaft dont crush them when you re install it. But you shouldnt even have to take the idler gear out. WATCH OUT for the needle bearings when you pull the output shaft out. The bearings are inside of the input shaft where the output shaft meets up. NAPA has the bearing you want its like $35-$40 bucks! Actually you might consider rebuilding the whole thing while you are at it (did I mention how easy it was?) just to be on the safe side. I bought the entire rebuild kit for $120 from drivetrain direct.