Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Impex, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

1.) Rear output seal i had two, one was like double seal and another one that was just single at the very end. (outside) is that normal or will it be hard to find?

2.) When finding a new seal for the 465/205 adapter what do i call that seal? just the adapter seal? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3.) Might have to PM Boss on this one but was doing a search and read he replaced the shift rail seals by using a screwdriver to pry/pop out the old ones (he couldn't get the shift rails removed), because i really don't wanna gut the case to do it the "correct" way.

4.) Would going to NAPA be fine to get the seals?

5.) Using Right Stuff rtv to reseal the whole thing, just incase you were wondering.

thx guys

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I get all my seals at a local trans specialty house, much cheaper. I always just describe where the seal/gasket is and they usually know just what I need. Otherwise, I take it in and/or look at their books.

You can replace the seals without removing the rods, but it's a PIA. I've used a very small cold chisel (3/16 and sharp) to drive in (right at the outer edge, angled in) and pry it out, but be carefull not to gouge the case or rod!

3. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Russ: which shop do you go to?

4. BadDog

Trans-Star
    1341 N 29th Dr
    Phoenix, AZ
    (602) 233-1446

Near 27th Ave & McDowel
    Come in off of McDowel & 29th Ave
    South of McDowel

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

2.) When finding a new seal for the 465/205 adapter what do i call that seal? just the adapter seal

I know I have posted a National part # for that seal a few times

the double seal on outputs is a rebuilder trick.
    in my experience (2 single lip seals in place of correct #) they failed in under a year on the front output.
    i theorized it could have been due to running the outer one 'dry', next time i go that route I will try and pack grease between the seals

I have had good luch with industrial bearing houses, KAMAN has a local outlet or 2 here
    way cheaper then trying to buy Warn clips

6. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    the double seal on outputs is a rebuilder trick.
    in my experience (2 single lip seals in place of correct #) they failed in under a year on the front output.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Funny this should come up. I just found 2 stacked seals on the 203 input for my doubler range box. Really ticked me off, had to pull the retainer to get to the back one after it pushed in getting the outer one out... The correct double lip went back in.