Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Np205 Rear CV yoke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tys, Mar 19, 2002.

1. tys

tys Registered Member

You guys will prolly give me hell for mentioning this manufacturer, BUT, will a Ferd NP205 front output yoke (32 spline CV style) fit onto the rear of my bowtie NP205 shaft (also 32 spline)? This way I can run a CV style driveshaft in my SWB?

Thanks,

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I have been doing major searching, and come up with basically nothing. The thought was that a certain year of Fords had a NP205 with a companion style o/p flange that you could bolt a front style cv joint to, get it spliced onto the regular rear shaft on the rear, and have a cv rear shaft. But, after asking on here, and calling every reputable shop in my area, and some not so reputable shops, it turns out that no one has ever heard of one.
    Now before anyone gives me the link to High Angle Driveline, I know they make a great product, and it works like a charm, but there are those of us who just cant afford them.
    So, more research... sittin in my local Auto Club (on base), I see a '80 Ford Bronco pull in and get up on a hoist. It has a 4 spd, np 205. So I wander over and poke my head under. I find... a np205, with the same style o/p yoke as mine, that the 2 caps of the u-joint fit into, and is held there by the straps. The bast part is... it was a cv style driveshaft... the first joint of the double cv joint is held to the yoke by the straps. The slip joint is pointed down to the pinion, near the diff, and all the joints in the shaft are 1310s. So, I get to thinkin... prolly a custom job. So, I take a run downtown... whats sittin in the local Ford dealership? A '79 Bronco... so theres Mike in the dealers lot, under this Bronco, and voila, a cv rear shaft with the first u-joint of the double cv held to the 205 case with the little straps the same as mine!
    So, the mission: find a Ford Bronco 79-80ish, pick up the driveshaft from it, get it re-tubed to the right length for mine, and bolt it in....
    Any comments? Anyone have any cons against this? Should work right??

Mike

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I have a flange on the back of mine that is supposedly from a dodge, to which a saginaw style caddy cv is bolted, cannon engineering up in LA did it for me. One of these days i'll find a damn part number on the flange, but its the same mounting pattern as the front output flange for the saginaw style cv, in fact after the doubler install, my shafts are just about the same length, i could use the front in the back in an emergency!

4. tys

tys Registered Member

Mike,

You're right. Jesse is most knowledge and they offer an essentially bullet proof setup, but it also carries a heafty price tag. I was quoted $100 for a rear flange (nothing mentioned about a different seal) and $420 for a driveshaft. All too expensive for my tastes. I just don't have that kind of money and it'll take me a long time to save for it.

But your inputs on the Bronco drivetrain sound good..you're just not definet about yet. I would be most interested in what you find out. Do you know if the rear yokes between the GM and Ford are the same? Meaning that all you'd need is the driveshaft? Or do you think the yoke would have to be swapped over to the ford to make that driveshaft work?Perhaps the spline count is the same (32), but what about the seal? What about the mounting pattern? (Distance between straps, one cap to another)? Check out these two pages I was referred to...

link=http://mail.nicorenergy.com/ctatar/images/Spicersizechart1.gif
    link=http://mail.nicorenergy.com/ctatar/images/Spicersizechart2.gif

I will call the Ford dealership today to inquire about the front CV style yoke (p/n & cost) and also the rear style yoke to compare it with info I have on my GM. I will also hit the junk yard Friday to check out some Fords and Chevys to see what I can find. Did the Bronco have the same 1310 spicer series u-joint?

-Chris

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Guys,

I believe the Bronco you refer to has the 1330 CV which I believe is better than the 1310. I have also heard mixed feelings of the 1350 CV; meaning its not much stronger than a 1330 and far less common. This is a great topic. Most driveshaft shops will shorten shafts for around $30, so if the Bronco shaft is too long, they can shorten it cheaply. Not sure of re-tubing costs. I have a part number for a Spicer 1330 CV Yoke for NP205. It's 2-4-5441 and is a 32 spline yoke for 1330 CV. Not sure if this is a true Ford part. This also requires a seal (National Seal brand) for this specific application and I do not have the part number. I have been quoted around $72 for the CV Yoke from Inland Truck Parts in Kansas City, Missouri - check their site (800)892-5806. They also have the CV and many other parts. You could easily convert the stock Bronco shaft (If you find one!) to accept 1350 rear slip yoke. Good topic guys, let me know what you find. If you call Inland Truck Parts, ask for Ron Istas and tell him I sent ya!

6. tys

tys Registered Member

Yea, I checked out the u-joints this morning for a bunch of years of Bronco's...in 1978, the first fullsize Bronco year, they came with 1310 series joints. Don't know if it was CV though, for the other years (79 through 84 at least - this is as far as I've checked), they came with the 1330 series. They were CV. My bud has an 84 and he's going to take pictures for me. I will attach or put on my website for you all to see. If 78's came with a CV rear, then perhaps they would fit. I will call your guy and we'll see what happens.

7. Mudzer

You sparked some interest here, and Mike has me thinking. I did some searching online at the local Furd Bronco sites. Bronco Graveyard has used and new shafts for sale. They also sell the parts you may need. They dont list Spicer part numbers as far as I know but here are a few parts I think you could use:

22491 - Flange, NP205 3 7/8" - This should be the CV Flange you need (not real sure, need to call)

22493 - Conversion Seal for new flange - This would be the seal I talked about earlier

I used your chart to figure out the yoke dimension for a 1330 and its 3 7/8". The thing is, the 1350 has the same dimension on the charts you posted.

Of course, these are only assumtions and we all know what happens when you assume! I would be interested in finding a 1330 CV rear Bronco shaft and seeing what modifications are necessary to install into a K5. I am a budget mod kinda guy! Keep us posted.

Also, could you get a measurement of center of transfer case yoke to center of rearend yoke on your bud's Bronco? Also take note of year of the vehicle, plus transmission/transfer case and motor info. This could be helpful when searching junkyards and/or buying from a rebuilder.

8. tys

tys Registered Member

Ok I think I have the answer to my questions!!! I called Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts and spoke with Troy (877-497-4238). Here's what he had to say.

Told me to stay away from the 87 XJ front CV shaft I had planned on using in the rear. It does not have a greasable center ball and frequently dries up, requiring service (i.e. costly rebuild). Plus it's made of 1-3/4" .095 wall tubing (more weakness).

Part numbers for Spicer 32spline 1310 CV yoke/seal/nut, which will fit my 74 NP205...
    Yoke: Spicer P/N 2-4-5341
    Seal: National P/N 473457
    Nut: Spicer P/N 44189

Kit sells for $90

Now, some more information. Early 78 Bronco's came with a rear CV with 1310 joints. It also came with an NP205, so if found in the junkyard, the np205 rear yoke and driveshaft could be used in a SWB. Get a new seal and nut. New joints, take measurements, have it shortened, and wah-lah!

Other possible candidates mentioned by Troy that used greasable 1310 CVs shafts:
    Pre-77 GM front driveshafts (1/2 ton trucks and Blazers)
    F100-F150 rear driveshafts
    Early Bronco Front/Rear driveshafts (Post-69)

The Pre-70 EB versions used a Borg-Warner assembly, which Troy recommended I stay away from.

I will hit the junk yard Friday to see what I come up with. I will let you all know. I hope someone out there finds this information valuable. A copy of this will appear on my website.

Neil, I will try to get those measurements for you. For now, his Bronco is a 1984 with 300 6Cyl and 4 spd. (maybe a NP435?)

-Chris

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/22995567sqNVyxLTGX>http://community.webshots.com/album/22995567sqNVyxLTGX</a>

I have the book and it has spicer driveshafts in it as well
    perhaps I will scan the relevant pages for you today

10. tys

tys Registered Member

That would be awesome! Thanks...

11. Mudzer

Hey guys, check www.spicerdriveshaft.com

They have a list of downloadable PDF format documents. M_J, you could add these files to your archive. I saved them to my harddrive. One file is over 30 meg uncompressed! Very good info.

On another note TY, I would stray away from the 1310 CV and go 1330. 1330 is relatively the same price with the strength of a 1350. 1330 CV's are more common on the Broncos from what I have heard. Ask Tom Woods what he thinks about 1310 CV vs. 1330 CV. Any more input from anyone would be great.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

save this one to disk it is huge
    that is the driveshaft info I was thinking of