Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 rear output shaft vibes -- how to fix??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ErikH, May 21, 2002.

1. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Hi again...

I had my rig up on jack-stands today, and I fired it up... got the rear end up to around 45mph (wheels were off). I noticed the output shaft behind the xfer case was noticeably vibrating, and I've concluded it must be the cause of the vibration I always feel at speed.

FYI, the rear diveshaft is just a few months old, the and u-joints are accordingly tight.

So, I'm assuming the output shaft has worn bearings, but can they merely be replaced to stiffen up my driveline... Or is the problem more major? How difficult is the repair? So many questions.

Thanks again for your resonses. You guys have been a huge help so far.

-Erik H

2. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Get a rebuild kit for you 205 and a good bock on it other than snap ring tools and a good long 1/8 inch punch its a days job to rebuild it, the other though it to just replace the out put bearings there are to plus 15 lose rollers were the out put shaft gos in to the in put gear.

3. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I'm probably gonna leave the xfer case as-is, and go with the bearing replacement. The case barely leaks and runs great otherwise.

Where do I get these bearings anyway, and are they overly difficult to replace? Thanks for the help.
    Erik