Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np205 rebuild help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue Meanie, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

i have just aquired an np205 transfer case. i am not too sure of the condition of the internals but am planning on rebuilding it anyway. is there any good tech sights that would have breakdown info and parts listings? and if so, could someone please point me in the right direction?? thanks

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

The only thing a 205 might need is bearings. and pinion seals. If the bearings on the shafts seem tight I wouldnt bother with a rebuild.

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

4xheaven in NY(1-800-800-1679), has a complete rebuild kit, bearings, seals, gaskets for about $130, they also provide tech support. Also, Steven at ORD can help to.

4. Blue Meanie

sounds great. thanks for the info!!

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I did it this previous weekend...some of the snap-rings are kinda a pain but it is pretty simple...You also need a couple BIG sockets (like 1-1/4" fo rhte front output yoke and a little bigger one for the idler shaft locknut and the rear output yoke..)Not too bad though...also, the roll pins that hold the shift fork to the shift rail...those were tehe hardest part of the entire rebuild for me...

Chris

6. Blue Meanie

got the sockets but i don't know if i am going to be getting in over my head. i can fix stuff if i have to but get a little lazy when it comes to stuff i don't HAVE to have done, you know. this will be my first time doing this and i have a good friend that seems to know how to fix anything (nothing has broke yet). i guess we will see

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

My chiltons guide had a great section about the 205. It has an exploded view and step by step instructions to disassemble it. BEWARE of the needle bearings and pilot bearings...they will fall all over the place. I lost 2 pilot bearings and had to "borrow" a few from a buddy's 203 he had laying around...Other than that it is easy.

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Speaking of needle bearings, the best tip I've heard with them is to leave a couple out while your assembling the unit, then once you get it together then take a hammer and a small punch and tap the remaining needle bearings in. But I've never seen the inside of a 205.