Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 Rebuild Kit/ Manual?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Jul 15, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyone know where to get a good (how to) Manual that covers the rebuild or disassembly/ reassembly of a NP205?

And where to get a good rebuild/ re-gasket Kit???
    I could probally get this at the local auto parts store, but where to find a manual?

Thanks!?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If I remember correctly my Haynes manual has a pretty detailed rebuild procedure for the 205. If you want I can double check it tonight and try to scan it, or you can borrow the manual and photocopy the relevant section. </font color>

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

drivetrain direct or national drivetrain was $170 for the rebuild kit,
    if Novak is competetive with that I think my next one will be from him.
    Leadfoot is working on a pictoral how-to on that exact subject and has a link in his signature to a stack of images from his last one.
    check it out.
    I also have some info in my webshots album

4. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

PM me and I will send you a 3 piece scanned NP205 rebuild manual from the 1971 GM Overhaul Manual. Take care.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Right on.
    Those pic's of Leadfoot help me out a bit.... like the exploded diagram of the 205. You can get a 205 Rebuild kit from ORD? I was looking but couldn't find it.

And MJ's ultimate guide to the 205 on your webshots page helps a bunch too! Thanks for all those exploded diagrams! Thats' what i'm looking for!
    Thanks!

Anyone know of a manual specific to the NP205?

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I would like a copy of that.
    I would add it to webshots album.
    my factory shop manuals all say 'refer to 1974 manual as info is unchanged' /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll send you an email of my preliminary write-up. Also for those that I sent it to, could you give me feedback as I would like to get it to Steve....Thanks.

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Get yourself aChiltons guide. Chiltons has detailed exploded views and step by step instructions on how to rip one apart. The 205 is pretty simple to rebuild. I did mine with the the chiltons. Getting the shims to line up with the idler shaft was the hardest part, I shredded a couple of them.

If you thrash any of the idler shims I have 10 extras here if you need them, they only would sell them to me in a pack of 5...

Brent

9. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

I may post this as another thread, but is there a kit where you can rebuild the NP205 and up the gear ratio at the same time? I know some of the guys with Samurais, etc can rebuild their tcase and put in higher gears, add a 2wdLO option, etc.

10. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I do believe ORD sells a rebuild kit. I asked Steve quite a while ago when I was planning the doubler (and I had money). It never was on the web site though, you'll have to call.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ORD sells a kit to either re-gasket the 205 or to rebuild it (which includes gaskets). Unfortuneately there is no known kit to up the gear ratio of the 205 due to internal space limitations in the case itself.
    If you do come across one, please let us know, as there are many people who would like to increase there crawl ratio.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

thank you,
    I put them up in the 'transfer case' album