Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np205 rebuild kit

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 15, 2001.

There was someone on blazer-net (before it shut down) talking about selling a rebuild kit for a 205 transfer case. I was hoping to find out some more information. If not does anyone know where to find one at a reasonable price preferably under $200? Thanks...

1. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

http://www.standardtransmission.com/

You'll also need a couple of special tools... Heavy duty snap ring pliers, retaining ring pliers, bearing race & seal drivers / press, 3/16 & 1/4" straight punches...

2. And an 1 1/8" socket, 1 5/16" socket, 3/4" drive breaker bar, 3/4" drive torque wrench, ect......

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I got my rebuild kit from National Drivetrain (http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com/). It consisted of gaskets and bearings. It was $125 or something close to that about a year and a half ago. If you need shims, you will have to get them from GM or a transmission shop.

Oh, you will need a dial indicator with a magnetic base to set up the bearing clearance for the idler gear.

The absolute worst part of the rebuild was the cleanup part (cleaning prior to disassembly). The next worst part was the burnt cat-pee smell in the garage that hung out for months after I was done.

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

what Steve C. said.

:-)

ARQ.

5. Ok Steve, so your rebuild kit only came with bearings and gaskets nothing else? I plan on taking it down to the local GM dealer where my brother-in-law works. We will do this together on his off time. That way if something is needed it is all right in his shop. Plus I will have plenty of work space to do it in. Thanks to all of you for your input. I think I found a kit that is similar to Steve's for under $100 at a 4wheel parts where a friend works. I guess he is trying to set me up with a good deal. Thanks again guys...

6. Steve_Chin

Oops... I forgot to mention that the kit I got also included seals for the shift rails and output yokes...

Still, it's a stinky job.

7. K5krazy

K5krazy Registered Member

I have a question for the people who have received a rebuild kit from Standard Trans. I'm waiting for my bearing kit from Standard Trans. right now. I've disassembled my transfer case and determined that I should replace (at a minimum) a couple of the thrust washers.

Does the kit come with anything besides bearings, gaskets and seals? I'm hoping to see new lock nuts for the yokes and idler shaft, new ball poppet assemblies ect.

8. Steve_Chin

There's another thing that my kit had in it that I forgot to mention: New detent balls for the shift rails...

I did go and source my own input shaft bearing for it, since the Chrysler tailhousing on the NV4500 has no seal in it. That necessitated my getting a sealed bearing to keep the oils from migrating fore and aft.