Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kennyw, May 16, 2005.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I'm tearing down an NP205 to rebuild but having trouble removing the front output shaft assembly. The unit repair manual (GM's rebuild manual) just says to remove the rear cover bolts and use a soft hammer to drive it out. I'm using a deadblow hammer with nothing moving. Looks like the shift fork might be holding it in, but the repair manual has that being removed after the front output. Anyone been thru this before that could give me some tips? I can get pics of it later today if needed.

2. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

I just did the same thing last weekend for the first time. I was able to get it out easy, took forever for me to get it back in though. I think you have to take the pin out of the shift fork first, then it comes out easy. Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in too. :grin:

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

hmm.. odd.. i have taken about 5 or 6 205's appart including one jusr about a week ago.... it came right out. ohh, maybe ya need to remove the bearing retainer and the yolk..... that might be it... but im not sure. it should slide out the back.... just cant have the yolk on. i like the unbolt the bearing retainer as well for extra slop to make thigns come appart easier.
    Grant

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

if you haven't pulled the shift rails then that should have been the first thing. sorry if you've already done this and it's obvious, but there are 2 plugs on the top of the case that need punched out so you can access the rollpins in the shift fork / shift rail.

5. kennyw

Ah, shift fork and shift rail are still in it... but I was going in the order the GM manual gave me for dissassembly too. They put removing the shift rails later on in the dissassembly for some reason.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Misawa Japan until December...moving to Wichita Ka
  7. kennyw

From that write up it looks like I should be able to get this Front output out before the shift rails...

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wow! Thanks for posting that link... i'm about to tear into a np205 and now i'm ready! :thumb:

9. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I used that same writeup to do my 205 rebuild and it went pretty smooth. The only thing I'd say to watch is step 44. Be sure the shims are lined up perfectly when you slide the idler shaft back in. If any of the shims are off, the shaft will not align them, but catch on them and blow them apart. My rebuild kit didn't come with shims and my local supply shop couldn't get them either. So it was a trip to pick n pull to find a 205 lying around and tear it apart for a couple of shims... PITA...

Everything else was pretty easy and straight forward.