Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np205 rebuilder gurus,,, some help with idler shaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camiswelding, Apr 1, 2004.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Have my 205 all apart but i cant get the idler shaft to budge... and Im using alot of force... GM book says to use a soft faced mallet and a driver tool (I used a solid piece of round 1 1/2 inch stock) and a sledge ... and it wont budge. Project Burly Burb folks used an air hammer but Im striking as hard or harder than any air hammer.It was suggested I use a rosebud tip to heat the case to 150 degrees about 2 inches away from the shaft (not the shaft) and see if that would help move it.
    Anyone have experience with an immovable shaft and what you did to overcome it...I dont want to hurt the case/shaft by too much force... or heat unless I really have to use it
    thanks
    cam

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am sure you already know which way it comes out but just in case you don't. The idler shaft is removed through the 3 bolt cover on the rear of the case so you must hit it on the threaded side. I just use a BFH and once it starts to move it will come out easy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. camiswelding

yeppers... front to rear /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    cam

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

make sure the 3-bolt cover is off on the back and take the nut in the front off and get whack happy...Make sure teh input and output gear clusters are out FIRST...

Chris

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Mine was stubborn too, just kept pounding, eventually it came out. mushroomed the hell out of my brass drift too /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. camiswelding

205,,, update..got it, needed wife power

you all made me confident so just I went out and really whanged on it mushrooming the drift( as another poster described) and out it fell after 10 whacks with momma holding the drift and me playing muscle man on the sledge,,,
    now thats trust... I think she wants a new z71.. shes tired of being mechanic trainee
    thanks
    cam

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: 205,,, update..got it, needed wife power

[ QUOTE ]
    10 whacks with momma holding the drift and me playing muscle man on the sledge,,,
    now thats trust...

[/ QUOTE ]

Shes got BALLS. I don't even hold the punch or drift myself unless I am holding it with a pair of vise grips.