Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 seal questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ascuro, Jul 10, 2006.

1. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

My transfer case seems to be leaking from a couple seals - small round in rear (idler shaft cover), large round in rear (dunno name), and rectangular on side (inspection cover?). Can any/all of these be removed and resealed/gasketed without potentially screwing up the gears and shafts inside?

How about the front and rear output seal retainers? I'm guessing these are ok for sure...

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Yeah, thay are all easy. Then again.....it is pretty hard to break a 205.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

What Readymix said. You might want to re-seal all of it, save some future hassle.

4. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure a quick re-sealing didn't turn into a full-blown, unscheduled rebuild, hehe :D

5. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

The only thing to watch if you pull both rear output sections (slip or fixed yoke) is the needle bearings, they like to run away and hide at the bottom of the case. Check out the tech section or search for np205 tech for lots of blowups and articles that will help.

6. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

Hehe, so I got home today, decided to put in a little xfer case time...pull and clean the inspection cover, then idler shaft cover, then move to the rear retainer. So I'm thinking, ok, remember the needle bearings - and start pulling the cover off real careful...got it all the way off, bump my elbow, and drop half of them into the two drip pans I apparently forgot to move out of the way...(which had remnants of three diff oil changes, one oil change, and quite a few chunks of rtv, gasket material, and other unidentifiable chunky stuff...)

That was a fun time searching for every single one - it turns out there are exactly 41 needle bearings in there - for anyone's future reference...since I couldn't find the exact number online anywhere to double-check I had them all, so I had to grease 'em up and stick 'em all back in just to make sure I had them all :rolleyes:

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Not that it matters at this point but the large round cover is the rear bearing retainer and the rectangular cover is the PTO access cover where a PTO unit would attach, if equipped. :D

You might as well do the output seals while you're in there. It's just a couple more bolts.

If you ever want to do a full rebuild (or just want way more info), here's a good web site: http://okcnetworks.com/bronco/205/np1.htm