Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 shifter bolt broken...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

in my new suburban ( yeah, not a blazer, but this forum is a little more active then the suburban one) the shift linkage is not connected to the shifter stick. the guy I got it from said that it was a bolt that was proken off, and that its a simple matter of backing the bolt out, and then installing a new one through the stick.

is this a simple matter? will I be able to reach it without dropping the T case? will it be easier to get it from the top or the bottom, the side, while standing on my head, balancing a jug of water on my foot, etc...

thankyou in advance,
    -Rich

1977 C20 suburban
    454/400 trailering Special
    1973 K20 suburban
    350/350/np205
    Atlantic 442 Steam locomotive
    Daisy Mt Railroad

2. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

This happend to me right after installing my t-case.
    I did it while it was in the blazer, but i have the removable cover in the inside of the cab.
    Just get you a good small angle drill and also a good (preferably a new one) drill bit and a good easy out.
    Make a small pilot hole then use what ever size bit the easy out says to use. I got lucky and mine came right out.
    'Good luck
    Blazin72

Blazin 72

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How do you have a C20 4x4 Suburban? Did someone put it on a 4wd frame?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

How do you have a C20 4x4 Suburban? Did someone put it on a 4wd frame?

<hr></blockquote>

nope, its just a really beefy 2wd suburban, that I take/took anywhere, and everywhere thats wide enough to squeeze it through. prolly not the best of ideas, but I always went with a friend ( he has a 76 C10) so that if one of us got stuck, it'd be a metter of getting the towstrap out, and finding a different line. the 73 K20 is a brand new addition ( almost 36 hours old!) and I'm just getting used to having it around. body panel repairs, priming, paint, and windows are the first order of business on the K20.

-Rich

1977 C20 suburban
    1973 K20 suburban
    350/350/np205
    Daisy Mt Railroad

5. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

You should have the removable cover, so it would probably be easiest to get at it from above (inside the cab). I just picked up a new transfer case shifter bolt from Chevy for my '73 K20 Suburban w/NP205; same as yours. Part number, if you're interested, is GM #14009313. I paid $17.75.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</A>

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

you have a 502? &lt;drool&gt; one of these years when I'm loaded with Cashmoney.... thanx for the part number info, I'll give them a call, and go pick one up on the way home. I dunno if I have the full removable tranny hump, but after getting a look at the bolts position on the case, I'm really hoping I do....

-Rich

1977 C20 suburban
    1973 K20 suburban
    350/350/np205
    Daisy Mt Railroad

7. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Glad to help.

I hear you regarding the cash money.[​IMG] Hopefully, I'll find some more soon so that I can finally hear that 502 start! Good luck with getting at the bolt.[​IMG]

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</A>