Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 shifter hot?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Jul 23, 2000.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hey all,
    Its finally into summer here in the Great White North (about 28deg C) and went wheeling for the weekend. My question is How hot do all of your shifters get on 205 cases? I tried to put mine into 4 lo for a rather large hill and the thing was so hot (even the rubber ball) that I had to use a rag to shift it. Is this normal? Or is there something I should be looking at?

Thanks

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I would check the fluid level. They should never get that hot. Is your exhaust routed next to the transfer case? Maybe it is touching.

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

3. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

I run a 205 and it has never gotten hot at all and it is pretty hot here in Tx. I would check the fuild .

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

even in 2wd mine gets warm, and i mean just slightly above the temp of my SM465 rod but no more.

Knife.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I agree on the exhaust. It should never be that hot. It would be real easy for the exhaust to be touching it. Combine that with a motor that is a little lean, or timing retarded, and it could get pretty hot.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, my 205 gets warm, but not hot. I would start off with checking the fluid level.
    Boss

7. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

On a high-speed cruise on my truck my hurst handle (metal) on my sm465 will get hot, but still useable in hot weather. But that is after 3000 rpm for 300 miles straight in 2wd. The 205's shifter isn't too far behind in temperature. They get HOT to the touch. So does the floor.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, my fluid is new and right up to level so thats not it. The exhaust is close on each side (less than 6" away) but not touching. Dont misunderstand, its hot to the touch, it wont burn skin or anything, just very uncomfortably warm. There is a lot of heat coming up thru the shifter hole, and my engine does run a little warm so maybe its normal.

Thanks
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

9. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

if you have air coming through the shifter hole then you need a new boot. i also cut a section of tire tube, snipped a hole in it and slid it over the rod, to act as another boot.
    that air coming up through the floor is coming from your engine and exhaust, and that is not cold air.

Knife.