Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 shifter is it too tall?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wazzabie, Aug 26, 2005.

1. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I removed the NP203 and put in a NP205. The shifter for the NP205 is s tall compared to the NP203. I'm affarid that someone will bumb into it and it will go out of gear. It also has a long throw. I took it from a 72 and put it in a 78. Any one cut down the NP205 shifter?

2. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

my old 205 shifter took alot of effort to shift it, some one would have had to kick it real hard to shift it accidentally.
    never cut one down, but if i were, I would chop it below the boot, remove "x" numer of inches from the top half, and reweld it so all the evidence would be concealed. IIRC you would have to turn the shaft down skinnier if you just cut off the top and tried to rethread it. lot more work IMO

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

find a lever from a 73-newer 205. levers changed with body style

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Measure your lever before you cut it because mine is too short. I'll trade you if so. Mine measures roughly 14" from center of pivot bolt to top of threads.

5. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can you provide more details about the lever changing with body styles?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The lever that came out of the '91 1 ton I took parts off of is different in design than the mid 70's one I replaced it with. (mainly due to the fact that the adapter was longer, placing the shifter pivot bolt further back than earlier)

If the distance from the floor pan to the shifter "pivot" changed, then you can make a pretty educated guess that the shifter itself chenged in at least length.