Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 Shifter rail OD?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stroked72Blazer, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Any one know the outside diameter of my shifter rail. Trying to do a twin stick and need this info.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Looks like 0.748 best I can tell.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just went out and checked both my 10 spline and 32 spline 205's.

Russ is right, both measure the same.

Wasn't second guessing Russ, I was just curious if the rail diameter changed, because apparently the rail itself did, when the 4WD light switch started being used. But the diameter at least stayed the same.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What is different about the rails that used a 4WD light? My 205 I am going to use for my doubler does not have a 4WD light switch but I was looking around on e-bay and noticed a 205 that has a 4WD light switch that screws into the detent ball hole. Can't I just buy the correct switch and screw it in and be done? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure what changed on the rail. The part number stayed the same (although maybe the old part was superceded)
    but if you take the plug out that sits in that location, and thread in the switch, it doesn't work right. The switch is essentially on and off. The compressed position is "on", and with the tip of the switch fully extended, that is "off", and the old rail apparently has only a "dimple" in the center of its travel. Thus, when the rail is at full travel either way, the switch gives an incorrect indication. One end of the rail needs to have the switch tip pressed in, the other end needs to be extended. The old cases/rail aren't setup to allow that.

Tried it on two 10 spline 205's (obviously no 4wd light originally) and the switch didn't work correctly, where it does on the '91 205.

6. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks maybe I can do this without so much slop now.