Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 shifter rattles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chvyhs, May 10, 2001.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

How do I get my shifter to stop rattling while I'm driving? I took off the top cover and tried to tighten the 15/16 bolt on the from the top but I couldn't move it. Is there bushings or something that go in there or is it just age? Thanks.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have used those bronze thrust bearings between the shifter and the bolt head. This helps take the slack out of it. Those bronze bearings are simply bronze washers, not a real bearing. You can get them at the local hardware store.

3. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

That's a good idea K30 Guy. All I been doing all these years is taking the shifter boot off, and "rapping" the shaft with some stainless steel wire. If that don't work, I just "cram" a bunch of old socks down there. Works every time! GOPHERKILLER

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Can you explain this a little clearer? My 205 rattles also. I think you are saying to buy washers and put them on the shift railes where the pivot points are, but I'm not sure.
    -- Mike

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 205 in my '77 and the 1980 205 in my current ride both use a wave washer between the bolt head and the shifter to keep it from rattling. Does yours have this washer in place? With the washer there, the only time mine rattles is when a u-joint is going out and the driveline vibration is getting excessive. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

My 205 is in a '77 also. It's always rattled but it gets worse as the u-joints wear out. There were no washers there at all. There may have been at one time. Where can I find the washers and how many does it take? One on each side? Do I just pull out that one bolt on top and put the washers there? When I pull that bolt do I have to align anything else when it goes back together.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Do not use regular washers. They are not the same thickness as all the other washers in the box. Look for those bronze thrust bearings. They are simply a bronze washer. All of those are the same thickness and size too. You can get them in any thickness and size you want too. These bearings would go on the bolt that holds the shifter to the adaptor. One bearing on the outside part of the shifter and check that. If it still moves, depending on how much it moves, try to get another bearing to fit that slack. Remember, they come in different thicknesses. Regular washers are all the same thing but not the same thickness. I have ran one bearing before and sometimes where there is more play, I run two bearings. With two bearings, put one on the outside and the other on the inside of the shifter. This will help hold the grease in better too. Just wished I had a dig. cam. to show you the adaptor/shifter and bearings I have here. Very simple thing to do to make the shifter more firm. After installing the bearings, the shifter would not move to the sides anymore. Just the forward and backwards pattern. Worked great too.

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

My 205 shifter used to rattle too. I took of the rubber boot so I could see down at it. Then I got a can of One Lube by Slick 50 and doused the crap out of it. It hasn't made any noise since. The synthetic stuff like that should stay on it for a long time. And it took less than 5 minutes.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad