Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 shifter tightening...use plain washers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Mar 26, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have my tranny tunnel off so I can POR it. I am looking at the 205 shifter right where it attaches to the tcase adaptor (205/465).
    It is just a big bolt, like 7/8" bolt that the shifter pivots on. My shifter can rock left to right right at this point.
    I don't see why I can't remove the bolt and use some flat washers to take up the space.
    I seem to remember someone posting that there was something better to use than plan washers, but I don't remember what.
    -- Mike

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a plain washer in mine, and the stupid thing kept working itself loose. Even with the bolt "bottoming out" like its supposed to, the bolt would work loose. There is supposed to be a pretty weak "wave washer" underneath the bolt head to keep SOME tension on it. Without it, I have a slight rattle at cruise.

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

there's some plastic bushings that go in there.....

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My 205 came out of a 1980 1-ton truck. It has a wave washer under the head of the bolt to keep the shifter from rattling. You might be able to get the washer from GM still.

5. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Mine needed tightening, too, but I found a greaseable bolt at a junkyard from a 205. Now I just keep it pumped full of grease and it stays rattle free for a while. I think there's supposed to be some plastic bushings in there somewhere, but mine is missing those of course.

Will

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The bolt on mine is also greasable. It has a zerk in the head of the bolt. There isn't any plastic in there on mine though. Just the wave washer.

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I found a round rubber gasket that is just bigger than the diameter of the part that the shifter rides on. Its about 1/8' thick and seems to have fixed the rattle. The shifter is still real easy to move and the bolt hasnt backed off at all. I couldnt find a wavy washer nor did I want to go to a dealership to get it, and I had this sitting around and its worked great.