Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205/sm465 Rebuild

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JohnSPledg, Apr 29, 2002.

1. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

How hard is the rebuild on this tansmission and transfer case. I am trying to save as much money as possible so I can get everything done to get my blazer back on the road. When I parked it, the tranny and t-case both worked, but were leaking some oil. I want to rebuild them before I swap in my rebuilt 350. No sense in taking it apart twice. Also, on the Hydro conversion, does it matter what year the clutch parts come out of? Does it need to be a second gen, or will 88 and up Fullsize parts work?

2. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

I would just put some seals and new oil in them, if your worried about the oil leak. If they were working good before ,they will work good again.

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The 205 isn't hard at all. It's messy (the worst part of the rebuild for me was cleaning the thing, followed by the burnt cat pee smell sticking around my garage for months after). I never built a 465, but it can't be that hard. My NV4500 wasn't too hard to disassemble/reassemble.

4. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, I think I am going to try the rebuild myself. Where is a good source for rebuild kits?

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I got my rebuild kit for the NP205 from National drivetrain.