Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 tailhousing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AngusF, Dec 19, 2001.

1. AngusF

AngusF Registered Member

I've got a couple of good questions here...
    The NP205 looks like it has interchangeable rear output shaft types and locations.

First, would a fixed-yoke tailhousing from a Dodge 205 bolt straight up a Chevy 205, or would it take internal mods?

Second, with that 8-bolt cover over the back side of the front output shaft, are there actually provisions for an offset rear output shaft? My thought on this one is using centered-pumpkin axles front and rear, maybe 2 1/2 tons, and going for a monster truck type rig, with a suspension cradle that doubles as a skidplate for the t-case. I am, of course, aware that 2wd would be lost with a setup like this.

I'm a fan of the adjustability of air bags, as well as their long-travel availability (up to 18"). I've long been planning to build a rig using air bag suspension, and if there are splines behind that plate, I think it'd work nicely, because even the milder 12" travel air bags are 9" tall at the bumpstop.

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

The cover on the back is for removal of the gears. I am not aware of any offset rear output for NP 205.

You must have the 1980 version of the 205 with the rear slip yoke. All prior GM 205's have a fixed yoke. You could swap in the guts from an earlier GM 205 to get fixed yoke, or just swap out the whole unit for a fixed yoke version.

3. AngusF

AngusF Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. I haven't got my truck yet, but now I know not to get a 1980 :)
    I've seen a couple of 205s out of vehicles, and with the same bolt pattern on the tailhousing as the cover, I guess I just put 2 and 2 together, and came up with about 5.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

There is nothing wrong with an 80 205. All you need to do is change 3 parts to make a fixed yoke. Also 80 is not the only year I have seen them in but I have not seen them in anything prior to an 80. I am doing the swap on mine tomorrow from slip yoke to a fixed yoke and hope to take some pics and do a write up.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Just a sidenote I forgot. I talked to Steve at ORD yesterday and he hopes to have a kit available in the near future for converting to fixed yoke.[​IMG]

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

jesse did an offset 205.
    could be wrong but i think you use a divorse mount input shaft for a front output, and use a rear output shaft/tailhousing located where the plate is now.
    anyone have divorse inout pics?

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

here is one, hope you have high speed connection
    <a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/003/cC/Zs/J7/xt78890.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/003/cC/Zs/J7/xt78890.jpg</a>