Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 Tcase fluid

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thesaint, Dec 3, 2003.

1. thesaint

thesaint Registered Member

Changed my Tcase (NP205) fluid to Royal Purple 75-90 syn
    before going to Baja last weekend. After about 60 miles total with the case engaged (10 4lo 50 4hi) I started to feel/hear binding and could smell the fluid, back into 2hi on highway I had no further trouble. Should I have used motor oil? 205 is a gear drive box, gear lube is what should work best...Right? (did i just burn up my Tcase...)
    Anyone have guidance/experience on this?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My t-case gets warm after a long days drive in 4wd. 205's don't mind much what you put in them for fluid as long as it isn't mud (tried the mud in the trans and it didn't like it either /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif).

3. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

I am sure =many will disagree with me on this but here goes anyways

just run good ole 80 - 140 hypod gear oil in your 205
    sinthetik oil is to slippery and flies off the gears to easy leaving no cushing for them to mess together with there fore making it run hot
    hope it makes some sense to ya
    oh yea the 205 is a strong one im sure your ok but i do recomend changing the oil
    R

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i just run valvaline 80-90 weight.never had a problem in my tranny or transfer case.except for the leaks and my big right foot blowing up the trans output shaft. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If that synthetic is good for a diff, you won't have any problems in a 205. GM even recommended ATF in the 80's to get fuel economy up. ATF isn't that great for the gears and bearings so we recommend 80-90 gear oil which is what GM recommended when they cared more about how long the truck lasted rather than dealing with the government's CAFE standards.
    Jim Allen has been running amsoil synthetic in his 203 and 205 for several years now with no adverse effects.
    It's normal for the 205 to get hot enough you don't want to touch it. Same with a differential that's being worked.