Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 twin stick shifter question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shawn, Jun 26, 2000.

1. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Did any of you read the article in 4 Wheel & Offroad about the 205 twin stick shifter? I skimmed through it lastnight but it was late and forgot to bring the article to work with me. Is this a Currie Ent. twin stick for a Dana 300 that was made to work with a NP205? I was thinking about making some drawings and taking some pictures that shows the one Avalanche Engineering made. Unfortunalely, Avalanche doesn't make it any longer probably because of all the Snipers they're producing!

One thing they mentioned is you could turn a tight circle by having the shifter in FWD (front wheel drive where the rear is in N) and have your e-brake on with your tires turned then hit the gas. Would this really work?

Shawn
    87 K5
    NP205

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Yep, it was a Currie Twin stick shifter for a Dana 300 that they modified, they also modified the shift rails on the transfer case in question, I had talked to some others about this, not all shift rails would need to be modified. Also on the tighter turning, it should work, kinda like trail brakes on a rail buggy.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. Shawn

The twin shifter I got didn't require mods to the shift rails. I did ask Currie if they will ever will develop one and they said "nope". They just care about the Jeep crowd.

Now if only someone would develop a 4 to 1 kit for the 205, it would the ultimate t-case.

Shawn

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I don't see how you could make a twin stick work on a Chevy 205 without modifying the shift rails, or removing the interlock pins between the shift rails.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

5. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I am gonna call Obrian that David supposedly talked to and see if he is going to make the 4 to 1 for the np205 like David said.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I thought the same thing as Tim...that rod...I named it a logic rod...prevents 205 from front drive only. Maybe just remove it. I definitely want a twin stick. Whats the price on the Currie version?

SteveB

7. Shawn

Well, I haven't installed mine yet so I'm not sure on that rod. I don't see why you couldn't remove it. The shift rails could be different between the years. Looks like mine will bolt up which is out of an 80. Currie wants $130 for the Dana 300 twin shifter which you still have to make mods to.

Depdog- Let me know if you have any luck with the 4 to 1 kit.

Shawn
    87 K5

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

There are actually two rods between the shift rails, one in the front of the case, and one in the back. I never screwed around with it to figure out exactly which one locks out what, but if you removed them both, you could shift the forks into any position you want. Only problem is that you might be able to get high range in the front, and low range in the back or something like that (wouldn't want to do that at speed), but if you learned the positions, and you were careful, it would work.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

9. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I put on my twin stick shifter from Avalanche a while back. It works like this: To shift into 2 low the front shifter must remain in neutral. To shift into 4wd hi the rear shifter must already be engaged, then you can engage the front. 4wd low works the same. I figure they ground the rails so that the front shifter could move in any range regardless of the rear position b/c the instructions in the Avalanche kit did not mention grinding on the rails at all.

BIGJ

10. Shawn

BigJ-
    Have you got yours into FWD (Front wheel drive)? Does it shift in between hi-lo / 2wd-4wd any better then the stock shifter? I take it then you didn't have to make any mods to your 205.

Shawn

11. BIGJ

I'm almost positive about not being able to shift into FWD. I will check when my truck gets out of the tranny shop (700r4 decided it would only run in first). I tried to shift the t-case when I put everything together and the front shifter would only shift after the rear was engaged. It does shift much better than the stock setup. The old setup was much harder to shift and I would overshoot the range I wanted. No modifications were required to mate the twin sticks to the 205. Although, I did have to bend the sticks a little to fit the hole in the floorboard. I got a plate and a cool set of boots for the shifter from ORD so it was easier to bend them b/c the plate fit the stock hole perfect.

BIGJ

12. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Hey Shawn hows it going.I'm going too try and do the twin stick this week before the run.My question is witch rail is front and witch rail is rear.And does anybody know how the pattern for each rail,Example L,n,H or H,n,L or H,L,n.just so i have head start on tring too figure it out.And on the avalanche shifter bigj did you remove the bar connecting the rails on the front of the case.

13. BIGJ

Yes I did remove the bar connecting the two rails. I had to use a grinder to remove the "ear" on the range rail. The instructions in my kit said that you might have to do that. I have included a pic that should explain the pattern better. The shifting pattern also depends on how the shifter is hinged. I know this is opposite of the factory pattern but like I said, it depends on how the shifters are hinged. On the avalance kit, the shifters bolt to the t-case and you push or pull the rails forward or back. The factory shifter is "hinged" on the adapter to the t-case so the movements are opposite (You push the lever forward for 4-low but it really "pushes" the rails in). I hope this helps some. If you guys want I can post some much better drawings than the crappy 5 minute one I made, maybe even some pics.

BIGJ

14. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

The attachment was just a bunch of jibberish on this end.does it come up for anybody else?My shifter is a copy of the avalanche one.So i guess my next question is does one rail operate 2+4 and the other H+L.Or does one rail do the front and the other the rear.Thanks for the help.And yes additional photos would help thanks.

15. BIGJ

16. Shawn

Since I haven't installed mine, I'm not sure on the shift pattern but now I'm confused. In the magazine, it had a shifter for the front and the other shifter was for the rear. It looked like this:

<Front> <Rear>
    HI HI
    N N
    LO LO

I may have got the front/rear shifter or the HI/LO reversed but it looked similar to this. This is the only way you could have FWD. The other pattern you explained earlier would not allow FWD. I'm just curious.

Shawn
    87 K5

17. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

would thes mods be hard to do and how much does an np 205 cost

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

18. Shawn

The mods are easy and a used 205 runs around $200. I picked up one with the adapter for $230. Much cheaper and stronger than an Atlas.

Shawn

19. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The latest issue of 4 Wheeler (I think thats the one, anyway, ONE of the 4x4 rags) has an article on how to take Currie's twin stick 300 shifter and modify it for use on the 205. Get the mag!

ken

20. BIGJ

I couldn't get FWD because the t-case wouldn't shift into FWD UNLESS I ground the rails like they did in the petersons article. The shift rails in the factory configuration (read-no grinding) won't allow the shifter to be put into FWD. You have to have the range selector engaged first (the HIGH/LOW part of the diagram). The kit from Avalanche is designed to be a bolt on deal. If you wanted FWD then you could grind the rails so they could shift independently of each other. I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

BIGJ