Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 Twin stick shifter??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, May 6, 2000.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Just what is the Twin stick shifter for???

Thanks

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I am going on complete supposition here, but my guess is that it is like the old duplex shifter for an old Mack truck, one for hi and low, the other for 2wd and 4wd.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

It would not work well with the 205 as one shifter shaft shifts the rear output and the other shifts the front output.

4. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Many people put them on 205's.I believe one detent is for hi/lo and the other for front output.

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Gentlemen, please read the post..I said MY GUESS IS
    meaning I really have no clue but am taking a stab at it.
    I drive an auto because I like the simplicity. The first semi I ever drove was an old B model Mack with a duplex, anyone out there can tell you it is a horror to drive if in fact they have driven one. One stick has the familar h pattern, reverse to you and up, 1st back, 2nd up 3rd back, 4th up 5th back. Then the other stick was, low up high back. Now visualize this, one stick back in first the other up in low, you take off 1st low, then shift back 1 high, then shift up to second on the one while shifting up into low with the other at the same time, with one foot on the gas one knee on the wheel and both hands on the shifters...
    With a full load you almost had to shift hi/low every gear, other wise you could miss a few of the low's and just run the hi's.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

6. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

The twin stick conversion makes it so you have two tranfer case levers one for hi/lo one for 2/4.This could not be driven like a splitter in a semi.The 205 tranfer case can't be shifted on the fly like that.It is mainly for people with lockers in front.So they don't have two unlock hubs too stay in lo gear.Because it's a bitch too get around a corner with locker in front under power.this would give you the ability to have 2/lo.

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I guess you have never looked close at the 205 One shifter would shift the rear out put. The other shifter would shift the front out put! Bout shifters would have a H, N and L and yes you could get a 2 wheel low driving eather the front or the rear, just as you could get one axel in low and the other in high, that could be real fun. Part of what makes the 205 so strong is the way it uses the gears, there are only 5, 2 on the out put to the rear, a counter shaft with a 2 gear cluster and 2 on the out put to the front. It does not shift like the reat, To remove the cross deten between the front and the rear shifter rails the case must be taken all the way down with all the gears out of it.