Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 w/ no front driveshaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Jan 13, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

'71 NP205 if I don't have the front drive shaft in it, (yoke slips in on splined shaft) would it whine, buzz, and shift like there is a bearing dead inside or something, just a thought before I yank this beast out again.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If it's not in 4wd it should not care if there is a front shaft at all. No power should be going to it. If your hearing noise on the street it shouldn't be the front shaft unless you got the hubs locked.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

We'll I didn't do a very good job with all my description, my tranny hump is off so I have a visual of the front output spline. Even in 2hi it still turns some, in 4hi just for grins, it makes all kinds of racket like a bearing is gone out when driving

Like em big and topless

4. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Dont want to steer you in the wrong direction or anything but with stripped splines on the front output and strange noises coming from it, I think you need one of these: <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/photo/28972787/28973820jNCaUXBbfw>http://community.webshots.com/photo/28972787/28973820jNCaUXBbfw</a>

RGF

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Bare with me, I'm new here.

First, I just discovered this site recently and I THINK IT'S GREAT! There is a tremendous amount of info here!

Second, the 205 question. Are you sure it's a 205? I've never seen one with a slip yoke on the front. I'm not saying they don't exist just that I've had my hands in a lot of them and never seen a slip yoke front output (a rear slip yoke was introduced in '80). All of them i've seen have a bolt on yoke and would spill fluid if it were not in place. As for the shaft turning slightly in 2 Hi, that's normal. The "fluid current" created by the top shaft will cause the lower shaft to turn but it does not have any torque being applied to it. As for the noise in 4Hi, that sounds like a bad bearing, unless the front shaft is stabilized by the slip yoke itself riding in a bearing (thus allowing it to wobble with the yoke removed).

John
    80 K10 w/ a LOUD 468 / hard hitting 400 / nothing but a 205 / a D60, nuff said / a trusty C14 / riding on 12" and 44,s
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think the yoke may hold the shaft in the correct place.
    why are you running without the yoke/flange?

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

7. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

The yoke is a flange, and I am surprised it is not a flat flange (CV) that slips on so to speak. When you say it slips on, I am assuming it is just a flange that slips on then you have a rubber washer (that has spline cuts into it -this is to retain fluid or at least add in a seal - and not absolutely necessary, then a washer, then a large nut) I know if you don't have that nut torqued to 190ft lbs, you will have too much play in gears which could create a whine, but wouldn't think that is it. You have a shim pack in the gears, so even if you torqued it to more than 190, you shouldn't be able to put too much of a load on it without breaking something. Sometimes, if you have to much load on a gear assemble like that you can get a serious whine, but that would normally be in the case of too little of a shim pack. Did you or someone rebuild it before this problem arose? It won't be hard to figure out, but pullin the thing may be necessary and make it easier than a guessing game. Just my 2Cents.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

he doesnt have the flange on it so he doesnt have any torque on it.
    BTW reply to him next time

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the counter shaft spins the front drive gears all the time

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ok thanks bud your closer to the right track than most, yes it is a CV style and it does have a nut (haven't figured how to get that back on and torqued w/ the CV joint in the way, maybe it unbolts, haven't looked in awhile) I"m lost on the rubber washer locations and such though) I just had to rebuild my tranny that's why it's on in there, when I drove it a little, (not all over town) it grinds/whines like 2 gears aren't meshing, just barely touching, or a bearing has gone out. you think that would solve it if I got that back in like it should be? or should I go ahead and pull it and tear it apart.

Like em big and topless

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

'71 should have a Spicer CV, the yoke looks similar to a regular u-joint yoke, instead of the flat, round flange on the Saginaw CV that was introduced around '76. There are 4 bolts that hold the CV to the flange, and go in from the back (t-case side). Are you saying that you don't have the yoke on the truck, or that you have the yoke on but the driveshaft is off (the 4 bolts aren't in)?

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

12. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

the yoke isn't on the truck, for some reason the nut on the yoke wasn't on there

Like em big and topless

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

So there's no fluid in the case?

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

14. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

i should probably check that huh, I'll go look at it again tommorrow, maybe that's the whole problem, kinda new to this whole transfer case thing so..., thanks everybody

Like em big and topless