Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Np205 w/ slip yoke

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by hungryjpr, Oct 9, 2001.

1. hungryjpr

hungryjpr Registered Member

I finally found an NP205 form a a th400 setup. Only problem is it has the slip yoke output. What's it gonna take to convert this case over to the fixed yoke output (for cheap) so I can afford to do the Doubler? Hopefully your gonna say "it's easy - just swap output shafts" & I'm gonna be a happy camper...
    Matt B

2. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Changing the rear output on a 205 from a slip to a fixed yoke is easy just swap the output shafts and tailstocks from a fixed yoke 205, doesnt matter what it has for an input gear.
    You will be a happy camper!!!

RGF

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can buy the parts from GM, but it is probably cheaper to get a junk yard fixed yoke. It won't matter what style input it has (350 figure 8 or 400 round) or what style front output it has as long as it is fix yoked rear output. The swap is easy (pull the speedo assembly out first it makes it alot simpler), but you may need a "c-clip spreader" to open one of the c-clips on the slip yoke assembly to remove it. I tried a pair of snap ring pliers but they bent. Other than that it is straight forward, just keep an eye on the needle bearing that will fall out when removing the output shaft (I believe there were 15 or so of the larger ones to the front of the output and ?? of the smaller ones to the rear of the output). Some WILL fall, just keep track of them and use grease to hold them in during re-assembly. It would be a good Idea to get new seals and gaskets along with new needle bearings (skinny ones) and retainer in the output housing (sold together). The ones to the rear that look like ball bearings in a cage and the big ones to the front of the output shaft Shouldn't need to be replaced but if they look worn it wouldn't be a bad idea.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We're eyeballing what it would take to build up a kit to do this. We can get new output shafts for the 205 to take a fixed yoke, the only problem is the seal housing at this point. We may set up to build some new ones, we'll see. We can get you the new shaft now, it's going to be about $140 or so. You may be able to modify the slip yoke output to work with a fixed seal, I'd have to take a look at one to know for sure, but it may work out. Hmmmmm.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

5. hungryjpr

hungryjpr Registered Member

Thanks Guys - I was hoping it was gonna be this simple.
    And yes, I will be using "junkyard parts", but prolly get a new bearing kit for the case too.
    Matt B