Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 with slip joint output info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wheels, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I recently acquired a NP205 (thanks Bryan) with a rear slip joint output (circa 1980 model) that I'm changing over to a fixed yoke. Went hunting for a new rear output shaft and found out from several different sources that they are no longer available (new). Old ones from tired cases are still out there but they are few and far in between. I did acquire the last new shaft that 4xHeaven had in stock (I think this was about the 9th place I called)(sticker shock $250). Some info that I did pick up is that all 205 rear output shafts are interchangeable along with most of the internals. (Ph**d, left drop, uses a 32 spline front and rear output, which differs from GM and Dodge versions, right drop) They do recommend that you change the roller bearings out when you change the shaft. There are two different front output shafts on right drop 205's (10 spline Spicer style and 30 spline Saginaw style) . Input shafts, well I think we all know there is a variety of them. If your looking for a 205 (pre "85) that needs a TH400 input, (SM465 and TH350 types) the input bearing hole will have to be milled out to accept the larger bearing required for the 400 shaft. Just thought I would pass this along for those who have a NP205 or those who are looking.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Good timing, my search for 205 parts & pieces is just begining.

Thanks

3. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

When I changed the input on my 205 to 32 spline a local machine
    shop charged me $60 to do it. Take the bearing with
    you so shop can machine it on the snug side. I had it machined
    to the bearing size spec, and the fit was a bit looser than I wanted. But it
    works fine.

Wheels, if you want to sell that slip-style output, please email me. I would like one. Thanks

SteveB

4. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

This may be a stupid question, but what is the differance between slip, and fixed yoke. I have heard that fixed is beter for off roading, but I do not know why...

Aluminum running boards, rock sliders, same thing.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Steve, do you have a fixed yoke you would like to swap for a slip yoke? If so, e-mail me at jbear4x4@cs.com I am looking for a fixed yoke.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>