Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 with VSS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Aug 29, 2003.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Almost forgot about this, just some general info.

As most know, the accepted way to get VSS with a 205 (for an electric speedo setup...driven off the case, not a speedo cable) is to use a later 241 setup and adapt it to the 205 output shaft/housing.

Anyways, I pulled the "sensor" out of the '91 205 last night, and happened to notice it looked like a sensor I pulled off another transfer case...one that was sitting in an S10 in the wrecking yard. (small GM case, obviously not for fullsize) I compared to the two, sure enough, almost physically identical. ONLY difference is the little metal "nub" that "reads" the toner ring...the 205 one is either shorter, or just ground down a bit (perhaps from slight output shaft slop?) than the other one I picked up.

Dunno if it helps any or not, but may be a cheaper/more plentiful donor source. (who knows, toner rings may interchange too)

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

THANK YOU yes it does helps me a LOT !! i am in the middle of a 1989 700r4 2 205 conversion and have been wondering what i was gonna do as the computer need the vss info to make the rig run right
    Right ?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. dyeager535

Not really.

Cable driven setup it's just easier to use the speedometer mounted VSS.

Personally, I'm sick of the cable being "bouncy" (which screws with the ECM) but going electric speedo adds its own complications...again the transfercase issue, plus the DRAC, and associated wiring/ECM issues.

4. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

cool i might just not run 1 at all then imean after all who need a speedo just go withthe flow of traffic or non flow is more like it around here anyways
    :crazy
    R

5. dyeager535

VSS is a requirement for TBI systems to run correctly.

Notice I didn't say run, I said run correctly. Just use it in the first place. No reason to sacrifice driveability for an hours worth of time. (installing it)

Cable driven VSS is an extremely simple setup.

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

thanks
    if thats what it takes then vss it shall be /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif