Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 yoke?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Dec 17, 2000.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I replaced the rear output yoke on my NP205 with a 1350 Spicer yoke. It is torqued down to about 140 ft lbs.
    I read that it is not supposed to have any play back and forth (front to back.) Mine moves about 1/8 inch front to back.
    Am I supposed to shim it? Just put some washers between the nut and yoke? I've run it like this for a few months with no problems, but want to do it right.
    -- Mike

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Well, is the yoke moving on the shaft ?
    If so check that the yoke is up to spec.
    The nut that holds the yoke to shaft is supposed to have a washer of the proper thickness !
    Check the output bearing for looseness .

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The output shaft seems stable - it doesn't move. It's the yoke itslef that can slid a little on the shaft. It is seeming more obvious that I need to shim it, but if I put in too thick of a washer, would it increase the chances of breaking the output shaft?
    When I took off the 1310, I didn't see a washer.
    I'm thinking I should put on a washer to take out at least the majority of the play...
    -- Mike