Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 Yokes and U-joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, May 2, 2004.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I tore out the TH350/203 and put in the SM465/205. I got the driveline lengthened to the proper size, and went to bolt it up. I discovered I don't have the right hardware. The 203 took u-bolts to hold in the joint, and had those little tabs in the yoke that keep the bearing caps from flying out--no clips. This yoke is tapped with 1/4 - 20 threads, and has the perfectly semi-circular spots for where the bearing caps go and there are no tabs to hold them in. I've gone everywhere looking for the right strap kit, and to no avail. Is it possible to switch the yokes from the 203 to the 205? Or would I have to get a u-joint with inside clips? This is the only thing holding me up (from being 2wd at least) and would really like to get it fixed. Especially since my runaround rig just went out on me and now I'm stranded. I also have to get a hub kit and figure out how to get the front driveline hooked up. 203 had a flange for the CV, 205 has a yoke. But I'll worry about that later. I would really appreciate any help.

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Anyone?

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Take the yoke off the back of the 203 and put it on the back of the 205, then bolt up your shaft with the old style hardware. The fronts a different story you'll prob need to source a new flange/yoke for that.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So it would fit then? I wasn't sure if they had the same splines or not. Didn't want to take it apart if I didn't have to. Especially since I don't have a socket that size. Does anyone know what size I need to buy?

5. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

i wanna say 1 3/16" but i had to gring the end of the socket to a taper to fit into the yoke, but ya the yokes on the rear of the 203s and 205s are interchangable.

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that would be sweet instead of trying to figure out where to get the right straps. Whatever it is it's uncommon.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My 205 uses a 1 5/16" socket there to get the yoke off. Make sure you tighten it up good, the spec is 150 ft lbs or so.

Investigate the front, flanges are easy to come by if it's 30 splin up front.

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks, don't have one of those, but I guess the only thing you can do when you have big nuts is go get a big socket set.

9. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

make sure ya get the 1/2 drive ( 1 5/16")
    as the 3/4 set wont usually fit in the tight hole of that little 1310 yoke
    and yes the rear will exchange but the front probably wont
    as its most likly a early style 10 spline
    mabe buy the 32 or 30 spline front out put from some one here on ck5 and then just install it your self as ya can do it easly with the t case still in the truck
    Best of luck 2 ya
    R

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My 3/4" drive 1 5/16" fits in there fine. I couldn't find a 1/2" one locally.

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Updated: NP205 Yokes and U-joints: fixed! Now it won\'t start

Finally got the yokes switched and the lengthened driveline back in. Thought I could call this auto to manual conversion complete (minus buttoning up the interior). Started it with a brand new battery, didn't let it warm up, then I killed it half way out of my parking space. Went to restart it-nothing. No power in the cab anywhere. What the? Where'd the power go? No headlights, no nothin! Gotta break out the multimeter tomorrow. AND I WAS SO CLOSE!

12. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Re: Updated: NP205 Yokes and U-joints: fixed! Now it won\'t start

Check the powerblock where it bolts to the firewall. Drivers side, prolly under the brake booster. They work loose and then nothing works, no power to dash or ignition and vise versa. I have a 205 yoke problem too, Will a front yoke bolt on to the rear? I just bought a rear CV shaft, but it uses bolts not straps like stock.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Updated: NP205 Yokes and U-joints: fixed! Now it won\'t start

A front yoke from a chevy 205 will not fit the rear. the front output shaft is 30 spline, the rear is 32.