Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Np205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Clod_King, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

hi guys, I am trying to design a rock buggy on autocad, and then build it when I get the materials, time and money. I need the measurements of an NP205 like width height, etc. or could someone tell me if the NP203 is the same size/shape as the NP205. I have an NP203 in my Scottsdale, so I could do all the measurements myself. hopefully someone can help me. or would it be worth my time to just buy an NP205, and take the measurements myself?

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I can tell you the 203 & 205 are quite different externally. Don't have the deminsions handy, though.

3. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

but are the mounting points similar atleast? I mean how do people swap out transfer cases all the time and still get them to fit. I need to know if the inputs, and outputs, and the mounting points are similar.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

adapters are the mounting points and they are usually similar locations. But output locations are different. If you swapped from a 203 to a 205 you'd have to change driveshaft lengths.

5. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

really? in the front or the back, or both?

6. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

back at least, most 205s have a fixed rear yoke

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Check out offroadfabnet.com there are lots of CAD files on there from axles to engines.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

203 to 205

I put a NP205 in my 74 K20 in place of its original NP203..the rear driveshaft fit perfect still,but the front one was too long for the NP205..I found one from a 1969 K10 fit perfectly--only year they used a 23" shaft on a "K" truck..I parted the truck out--still have the drivetrain minus the tranny(th350)..the front shaft is about ready to strip the splines,but it still drove and plowed fine despite being very sloppy !..
    \
    You could shorten the old NP203 front shaft--might need a different yoke on the T-case end though,depending on what style the NP205 has on it (The NP203 front yoke might fit the NP205 case!)..my crossmember had a slotted hole in it for the adapter "foot" mount,the 205 bolted right up no sweat..some trucks need a little fabbing there,some dont.. :crazy: