Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np208 32-27 spline swap how to

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by obijuan, Jan 25, 2008.

1. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ive got a good 208 from behind a 400 and want to swap my 27 spline input shaft into it so i can run it. ive read it was an easy swap but all the pics and links i saw were dead. ive got to disassemble the case and it will be the first try, i have a crappy one to practice on! is there any pictures or steps i can look at or any type of guidance i can use on this swap? anything i should do while in in there? all tips and tricks are appreciated! thanks guys!:bow:

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/3383/16724
    Pull the case halves apart
    Pull the front output gear and chain
    Leave the entire mainshaft assembly intact and pull it out. The shift collars and rail should come with it.
    R&R your input.
    Reverse procedure.
    There is a bit of a trick regarding shifting the rails into 4low so you can reinstall the mainshaft assembly and get the collars and forks to engage properly.

3. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

very cool, thanks. do i have to swap the whole shaft or can i just swap the spline unit? my 27 spline main shafts integrity is so-so and id like to use the better of the two.

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

The input is a separate gear. You can use whichever mainshaft is in better shape. There are a billion roller bearings between the mainshaft and gears so it's best not to get into disassembling the shaft assembly unless it really needs servicing. I've gone through two cases so far and each have had no problems with the rollers.