Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 and the abhored slip yoke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wrathORC, Apr 15, 2003.

1. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I was under my truck the other day looking at that aweful slip yoke while waiting for the oil to finish draining from the motor.

Then last night I was pissing and moaning about how if I had a fixed yoke I could run a CV shaft without possible vibration problems (from sloppy splines on the slip yoke) and not have ATF splattered all over the back of my cab. So I got to thinking. I know some people have used Dodge NP208 back halfs and modified them to make a fixed yoke GM NP208.

Is there any reason why no one has tried using a Ford NP208 to do this? I haven't actually measured or really looked at a Ford NP208 to know if it might work but I'm willing to bet most of the internals are the same with the main difference being everything clocked around for driver's side drop. Ford NP208s are pretty cheap to boot, I've actually seen a couple laying at the bottom of ditches.

What about an AMC NP208? I'm pretty sure those are fixed too.

I don't know. Just some ideas mulling around in my head. Please feel free to shoot them down if this has already been discussed and discredited as a feasable idea. I didn't find anything in the archives.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I was looking at a fixed yoke Ford case about 20 min ago myself. My neighbor has one in the bed of his truck and it caught my eye. Since I dont know jack about the conversion I didnt look too long at it to see if there are any similarities.