Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np208 any good?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sams78chevy, Dec 8, 2005.

1. sams78chevy

sams78chevy Registered Member

I was having a hard time finding a 205with adapter in my price range and I was wondering if a 208 was any good. Because correct me if I'm wrong but didnt the majority of those come in blazers and alot of blazers have the same tranny I have. TH350. They also have a slip yoke right. I dont know anything about them? Tell me more. Gear drive? Cast housing? TH350 adapters availabe? length compared to a 203? Thanks so much for the help.

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

NP208's are great x fer cases, but if you have the ability to find one go with an NP241 due to the fact there are slip yoke eliminators available and they have a lower L gear than the 208.

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Chain drive, aluminum case, 2.62 low or somethin like that.I know they came behind the 700r4, idk about the TH350. they came in most of the CUCV trucks including the blazers and the 1 tons, so apparently the army thought highly enough of them.

4. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

CUCVs have TH400s.

mike

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

if you were closer you could have had the one on my garage floor for free.. gonna scrap it..... or ebay it.. not sure yet....but shipping to oregon ... toooo much $$$$$$

6. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

my truck-blazer had a TH350 -> NP208 stock.

its still there.

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

208's are commonly swapped out, but they have some advantages as well as some disadvantages (most of which have already been mentioned...).

One thing fer shure - they will crack if they are hit or d-shafts bottom out. So you gotta protect them adequately if you're gonna keep it.

I think so highly of them, I run 2 of 'em.... :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marv

8. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what is that for?looks like both inputs are linked.

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

It's for this.....
    [​IMG]

Yes the cases are mated "nose to nose"....

Go to "Center of Gravity" and search for "Beetle"..... and you'll know the whole crazy story....:crazy:

Marv

10. sams78chevy

sams78chevy Registered Member

do you know how much shipping would be because i can get free shipping through my work.

11. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Slip yokes suck. That being said I am scrapping my junk and have a 1350 slip yoke and stock length shaft with u-joints to go to FF14. I'd let it go for $50.

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yes, but they were also backed by 208's too. So that doesnt matter.
    -Harrison

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ok, since nobody else wants to give a good full explaination, Ill do it. IMHO the 208 is a good case. It is what I have and I like it. Here we go:
    Strengths: 2.62:1 low range. This is a good low range gear. nice for crawling. It as also a durable case (internally).
    Weaknesses: Its a cast aluminum case. That means that you have to run a skid plate of some sort. If not, as soon as it jits a rock it will break. Im using the factory skid as of now, and yes, it will hold the whole truck up and only scratch the bottom of the skid.
    The only other main weakness is the slip yoke. As long as you have your d-shaft angles and lengths right, it should be fine. If not, youll have a nig vibration after putting in a lft, and if the lengths arent right, youll bottom out the case, which risks breaking the case since its cast aluminum.

Those are my pros and cons. Personally, I love having the 2.62:1 low range. I have a skid so the aluminum doesnt matter either.I have had no problems whatsoever with mine and I have wgheeled it pretty hard many times. My suggestion is: If you already have one:dont spend the money to change it. You should be happy with it as long as you dont hit it on a rock, and get the d-shaft angles and lengths right.
    -Harrison

14. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll agree witht hat to a certain extent. But a big hit will break that slip yoke. There really isn't much material on the ears. And when it goes your screwed. Find something to jam in there and always have duct tape. I've found a grant steering wheel horn button and a roll of duct tape does the trick. And thats a pretty gnarly typo you got there :wink1:

15. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I have a 208. As said before, you can set the k5 the skidplate and it will hold. Ask me how I know. Just dont ask why the cross memember is bent:doah: