Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 broken?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confedneck, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hey guys... i got a real bad feeling i busted my np208 in my 86 k10...driving home from work today, in a real hurry, i heard what sounded like a chain grinding noise, it only does it above 1500 or so rpms, and when i hit the clutch at speed it goes away, any way to check that t-case without pulling it down?

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

are you sure its your t-case..???

I'm going to try to make this short- but I had what sounds like the same problem...

mine was the pinion nut- came off in my hands 2 turns.....check it.......

do a search- with the title of my truck has a jake brake or something like that...thats where I solved mine.

Brandy

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If you broke it chances are good you wouldnt be moving at all. When I would kill Quadra-Trac cases, (Jeep full time chain drive I went thru 4 or 5, the next owner killed 2) it would make a popping sound when I would take off hard, that was the chain popping over the cogs. The last case that went in it TMK exploded the case completely when it finally let go.

You mention pushing the clutch makes it go away, Throwout bearing maybe?

My experience w/ chain drive cases is once your going along you can give it hell and its OK, its the chain flopping loose on take off that it shows itself.