Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np208 case problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by archer, Oct 14, 2000.

1. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I have an 85 with an np208 case. I heard a ticking recently, and got under it and rotated the driveshaft. There is a tick inside the case, one tick for every revolution of the driveshaft. Aside from that it runs fine. It's just loud enough to really pester you while you are driving. The fluid is level with the fill hole on the top and it's fresh ATF, I put it in about a month ago. I initially thought it may be the universals but I greased those, stuck a screwdriver/mechanical stethoscope to the case and that's where it's coming from. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

"who dares wins"

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Drive it till it blows up and then swap it out for a 205.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My old 208 used to whine in 4-lo. Sounded like a blower whine [​IMG]. I ignored it until I swapped it out for my 205 [​IMG][​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

4. FWP

FWP CRS

There are nylon shift fork pads that wear out, and the fork will rattle around in there. When you dumped the fluid last time, was it clean, metal pieces silver, bronze, etc. in it? It may be time for a rebuild, that case is one of the easy ones to work on, all the bearings have cages. I like my 208 in my P/U mated to a 465 with 4.10 gears. I like that low low crawl gear.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>