Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 case separation questions inside.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by edreid, Jul 8, 2006.

1. edreid

edreid Registered Member

I removed the 208 t-case from my 88 Blazer to fix a leak on the case.

Now that the case is out how do i separate the two halfs of the case? The shop manual says to remove the front drive yoke and the rear drive assembly to separate the case.

1. my question is do i need to do like the book says or is their an easier way?

2. can i just split the two halfs and put a bead of silicone in there?

3. While i have this thing on my bench how much are all new seals going to cost me? rough idea is fine and witch seals will be ruined by taking it apart.

thanks for any help you can offer.

Ed.

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Which book?

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

you have to pull the front yoke....then unbolt all the bolts around the two halves grab a rubber mallet and tap until they seperate.

all new seals and bearings run about $120-$130 bucks in a rebuild kit.

I suggest laying the input and front yoke half down and pulling out the rear half if you are just sealing it and going back together, the front is full of needle bearings that go everywhere

4. edreid

edreid Registered Member

using the chiltons repair manual.

that is what i meant can i just separate the halves without actually pulling the front shaft out? so that i dont have to mess with all the needle bearings?

that sound like it is the easiest.so i need to know can i pull them apart and just seal the halves and not have to remove the front shaft.

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Amazing, Chilton's may be right. I'd trust BowtieBlazer before I'd trust Chilton's, but it sounds like Chilton's copied a good authority, like maybe the factory manual.
    I have 208, haven't cracked it though. I also have factory manuals.:D

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

You do NOT have to pull the front yoke to seperate the case on a 208. I have done mine while in the truck with the front Dshaft still connected. We removed the slip housing and then unbolted the two halves of the case and pryed them apart with a screw driver.

SEE:D
    [​IMG]

Depending on where your leak is you might not even have to remove the chain or gears. That is where the needle bearings come into play:o . We actually had an empty case on the tranny with the exception of the front output all with the front shaft still attached.

Ira

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha: Necessity is the Mother of invention. I see quaint rural ambience in the background (sand).:haha:

8. edreid

edreid Registered Member

that is what i wanted to see and hear thanks alot guys
    ed

9. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

are you just trying to fix a leak at the seam? my 241 had a leak at the seam..... i just drained it, cleaned the surface real good, then put a bead of rtv on the outside of the case along the seam where the leak was. let it dry and filled her back up. never leaked after that and i didnt even have to pull the case.

10. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hmm I have been thinking about this as well. My 241 leaks from the seam in the middle, and at the tailshaft seem. So to clarify again you can split the halves without buying any seals/bearings right just RTV?

I was gonna try the RTV on the outside except I am also leaking at the adaptor:doah:

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yep readymix and I did a complete teardown out in the desert and put it all back together with a little grease to hold the needle bearings and only RTV to seal all of the joints. Make sure you let it tack up really good before putting it back together. We also let it dry once it was together for about 15min before we filled with fluid.

Ira

12. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

my only concern with not removing the front yoke would be getting it back together. The rear of the front output shaft rides in a bearing the rear half of the t-case shell. If you're chain isn't slightly stretched I am willing to bet it will be a battle to get it back together. Torquing the front nut to its torque value puts tension on the chain and seats the front output shaft in the bearings.

to each his own.

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If you did not remove the yoke it will not do anything to the bearings on that shaft. The only bearing we had to deal with on the front output was the sprag and steel rings the go between the gear and the rear of the case.

Ira

14. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Ira speaks the truth.

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, RTV to seal the case halves and the tale housing is fine. Just make sure the surfaces are really clean and let them tack up good before install. Then let is dry as long as you can before filling with ATF.

I also have had a small leak at the seam that I sealed with RTV on the outside of the case without splitting the case halves.

I personally have never had a problem with getting the case halves back together with the front output still installed. I have split several 208s in the past few years and it has been fine with the front outputs installed.

Harley