Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 disassembled and doesn't match the 208 exploded drawing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lazman, Sep 26, 2002.

1. lazman

lazman Newbie

NP208 disassembled and doesn\'t match the 208 exploded drawing

So while driving down the road in 2h, no more power to the drive train... messed with it, no joy and pulled xfer case. Took it apart and front fork (the smaller diameter one) has no pads, can't find any trace of a clutch spring and to make matters worse the main shaft doesn't seem to match with either of the 208 drawings I have, one from chilton's the other from those drivetrain com fellows.

Anyway tag says it is an NP 208 c 1

Where to start? Any help appreciated!

Oh yeah, the magnet really looked cool.
    Z

2. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

Re: NP208 disassembled and doesn\'t match the 208 exploded drawing

Can you post some pictures? This might help.

It almost sounds like someone took it apart and put it back together with some "Extra parts" left over /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

The main shaft difference is the part that confuses me, though.

3. lazman

lazman Newbie

Wow what a good idea! Have had the beast for 12 years, only gets about 3K per year so....these pics are of the parts on the main shaft less thrust bearing/washers, needle bearings. Almost, but not quite looks like the diagrams... [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]isn't there suppose to be a spring in here somewhere?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Don't some pads go on here? Found some scraps in the case. Looks like no oil got here because it was low and the tubes were blocked with excess rtv that dropped into the case.
    Anyway I am unable to make a one to one corrspondence between these parts and the diagrams I have. Source for better diagrams? All the bearings and chain look happy.

4. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

There are a couple of options you might try for better pics and diagrams. You might purchase a Haynes manual, they have a pretty good section on T-cases, and it has actual pictures, not just drawings. YOur local GM dealer can get you a diagram of what is actually on your rig. The 208 was produced on both dodge and Chevy, so the diagram you have may not by entirely accurate. I think the only difference between the two was that the dodge had a fixed yoke rear output instead of the slip yoke like on a chevy. That diagram looked likethe one I printed off line, and it was the one from the dodge. Anyways try a dealer and see if they can get you a bigger diagram. Oh yeah and you might want to hit the de3aler up for some new pads on that fork. The metal on metal things not good.

5. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

I second the motion on the Haynes (just the standard one at any parts store for $20) -- good pics, great for rebuild.

Everything looks right for the 208 -- it's definitely the correct shaft. But you do need the pads and the spring. Try www.drivetrain.com/transfercasesparts.html for the parts -- they're pretty cheap. Also, if the forks are chewed up, you can get new ones there. I picked up their overhaul kit ($21.52) and their fork pad kit ($12.22), but you may want to go for the full rebuild kit ($143.48) which includes the pads, bearings, gaskets, seals and "small parts" (which I believe would include the spring your missing.)

The spring goes on the top of the rod that holds the forks, between the upper mode fork and back of the case.

Looking at your diagram, I'd guess that you got it from that site -- they have the same diagram. It's a pretty useless diagram out of context, and it's misleading when trying to figure out how to reassemble (it shows the spring between the two forks, for instance!)

Hope that helps!

6. lazman

lazman Newbie

The spring in question...

Went out looking for a Haynes and of course can't get one till tommorow. In the interum this is a scan of part of the exploded view in my chiltons. It shows a spring (19)Clutch spring, that I don't have. Anyone else seen this guy? It is not in my case and seems apring steel would do some damage - I don't have any. I do have the mode fork spring.
    [​IMG]
    Still having trouble making this drawing match the heavy metal though. Thanks for your help.
    Z

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

the only spring in there is the coil one that goes on the shift rod . there are sposed to be plastic shoes wear pad thingys . there is a kinda of spring in the part with the 3 or 4 shoot i cant splaint it haha laters /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

The lasst picture is your problem. Trust me I know the range selector fork too well. No pads left and chewed up.

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Re: The spring in question...

thats the wrong drawing /diagram i have a haynes but it doesnt have a diagram like that but it shows the right parts , i scanned it with my camera hehe ill e mail them if you want .trust me i know the 208 tooo well ive got like 8 of them total chavy and dodge hehe -Andy im going to bed khamanic

10. lazman

lazman Newbie

NP208 disassembled and doesn\'t match the 208 exploded drawing

Yes please email me a scan of the correct drawing. Kind of thought my drawing was wrong. Thanks for your help guys.
    lazman@ix.netcom.com

11. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Hey man Can I call you or you call me? I rebuilt my NP208 with out the manual, its pretty easy. The exact same thing happened to my xfer case. I cost less than $40 for the fork, tranny fluid and gasket sealer! Ill be at work this weekend until 7pm 800-233-7706 x0924 ask for Steve
    Heres my pics http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/txstruck/myhomepage/ How did you like the 120 needle bearings! Mine fell everywhere!