Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 disassembly

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 81sb, Sep 26, 2002.

1. 81sb

81sb Registered Member

Anyone familiar with pulling apart the 208. Mine is leaking where the front and rear cases bolt together. Can I pop off the rear drive shaft and just unbolt the rear section to reseal or do the internals come with it?

Thanks

2. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

It's a little tough, and you could mess up your seals or bearings if your not carefull, but yes -- you should be able to just pull it off -- streight back. It may be easier (and less risky) to pull the rear retainer first -- this simplifies pulling the cover.

The cover has two slots, one on each side (next to the bolts that have washers) that you can use to seperate the two halfs using a screwdriver.

Good luck!

3. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

It's very easy to take apart. Drain the case. Drop the rear driveshaft and put a pan just under the rear of the case. Get an impact and a 9/16" socket and take off all the outside bolts. Then tap on each side of the case on the tabs. Have you pan directly underneath it to catch the remaining oil. Then pull it straight off. There is a needle bearing washer and two washers that will fall off of the shaft on the left side so be careful. It will slide off easily. Then when reassembling just clean each side very good and use black rtv and mate them back together.

4. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

There's also the mode fork return spring and cap -- putting those back on with the transfer case horizontal would be a challenge, I'd think. If you pull the rear retainer, I think you can guide the spring into place with your fingers; but if you don't, how would you get the spring to stay put? (I've only done it from the bench).

You're right, though, the rest is pretty easy.